Shopping Secrets Every Girl Should Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNI chapter.

Have you ever been out shopping and ending up spending more than you should? Being a smart and successful shopper can be tough. Doing so in college can be even more challenging. Here are a few tips to help you make better decisions the next time you’re out shopping.  
First things first, always have a list. It can be in your head, on paper, stored in your phone, or whatever you prefer. Getting overwhelmed at the mall can happen quickly, which is why it is so important to remember what you need.
            Remember to buy staples and classics. Don’t feel guilty about spending more on pieces you can wear season after season. A pair of black trousers, classic jeans, or a leather handbag can last through years of wear and tear. Cost per wear is important as well! A $300 winter coat may be a good investment because of the quality. If it is a high quality coat, I can be worn every day for years. Unlike an expensive sundress you will wear not even once a month during the summer.  Always ask yourself, “Do I love it? Will I wear it?” Don’t buy it unless the answer is an absolute yes. If you don’t love an item at the store, chances are you won’t love it at home either!
Have you ever heard someone say “I can’t wear this, it doesn’t match.”? Thankfully, we live in a world of fashion where an outfit doesn’t have to match to look great together! Check out any store window and see how versatile clothing can be. It’s totally okay to mix and match.
            Always remember to be honest with yourself when it comes to what styles flatter your body type and are appropriate for your age. Shop for the size and age you are now, not what you’d like to be.
            Give yourself time. Don’t shop when you only have two hours to find something to wear to an event. Chances are that you’ll find something that you will never wear again but had to get because you were on a time crunch. Avoid the crowds. If you can sacrifice a weekday morning for shopping you’ll be rewarded with less crowded stores and more patient salespeople.
            The last tip to remember when shopping smart is to look for sales. Know if something is really a good deal or not. Many stores mark down clothing items six to eight weeks after it hits the floor. Around holidays, like Memorial Day and Christmas, is when many stores have their best sales.  
            After reading these tips you can now be a successful shopper in any situation! Happy Shopping!

(These great tips and more were found in Style 101. To order this book, click here.)

Lottie is a junior at the University of Northern Iowa and she is a communications major with a journalism minor. She has always had a passion for fashion and writing, so she figured, why not combine them? She was a writer for Her Campus only one semester before becoming the Editor-in-chief and campus correspondent for fall of 2011. Lottie is very excited to take on the challenge and to make great things happen with Her Campus magazine.