QUASH: A Scavenger Hunt for a Good Cause!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNI chapter.

When someone we love overcomes an illness and has a clean bill of health, we celebrate the victory because it means we can spend more valuable time with them. Our loved ones become surviors. However, not every disease is curable. One of those diseases, also among the top 10 leading causes of death in America, is Alzheimer’s and  there is no way to prevent, cure, or slow down its progression.

Fortunately, the Alzheimer’s Association has created a new, fun way to raise money and they call it QUASH – Quest to Unravel Alzheimer’s Scavenger Hunt. This interactive fundraiser is used to raise money to advance research, provide enhanced care, and to reduce the risk of dementia through promoting brain health. UNI Advocate’s for Alzheimer’s is a student organization on campus that has brought QUASH to our university.

For QUASH, participants are asked to get into teams of two to four and to raise $100 per person prior to the event. Each team is given a set of clues and are set out on an adventure around campus and on College Hill. The entire experience is made to be fun, raise awareness, and get people involved in the fight against Alzheimer’s.

“QUASH is such a fun way to get involved for a great cause. Everyone has or will be touched with some form of Dementia but with the help of the UNI students we can fight back against this terrible disease”, said Chris Hofeldt, Director of Logistics on the QUASH Executive Board.

This event is packed with excitement along with some enticing goodies for the participants. Each team member will recieve a free t-shirt and dinner. After the scavenger hunt, there is an official QUASH after party at Beck’s College Hill where they will offer discounted drinks and appetizers.

The QUASH team hopes to create a fun experience for the participants but their main goal is to raise money for the cause. After all, that is what it’s all about.

“(QUASH) is one part mental, one part physical, and more fun than you’ll have all year! Our goal this year is to raise $20,000 and have over 200 participants!” said Hofeldt.

This event will held on Friday, April 20th. Registration is $10 per person and will begin at 5pm in the West Gym on the UNI campus. The official start of the scavenger hunt is 6pm. To register, visit the QUASH @ UNI website.

Lottie is a junior at the University of Northern Iowa and she is a communications major with a journalism minor. She has always had a passion for fashion and writing, so she figured, why not combine them? She was a writer for Her Campus only one semester before becoming the Editor-in-chief and campus correspondent for fall of 2011. Lottie is very excited to take on the challenge and to make great things happen with Her Campus magazine.