Music Review: Gavin DeGraw “Sweeter”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNI chapter.

The brilliant musician who brought us “I Don’t Want To Be” and “I’m in Love With a Girl” is making a comeback in a big way.  Gavin DeGraw’s new album, “Sweeter,” was released on September 16th and is everything a true DeGraw fan could want. 
The current most popularized song from this album, “Not Over You,” is all over VH1 and quickly gaining status.  And it’s no wonder– as soulful and heartwarming as this song is who couldn’t love it?  The use of strong piano, drums and slight incorporation of acoustic guitar fills this song to create a very wholesome feel.  DeGraw’s voice has a certain rough-but-smooth quality to it, which brings a raw truth to the somber lyrics. 
The entire album contains a very soulful feel to it, regardless of a slower or faster tempo.  If you’re in the mood for heart-wrenching love tales, look no further than “Stealing”; if you’re in the mood for a light-hearted tune, listen to “Candy”; if you’re in the mood for something meaningful, check out “Where You Are”.  Each song has its own feel and mood to it, which is something I look for in an album.  There is nothing worse than hearing each song on an album sounding the same.  Although DeGraw continues his quality and structure of music throughout “Sweeter,” he is still able to mix it up, which is something I can truly appreciate.  This album is definitely one to check out. 
You can purchase “Sweeter” by Gavin DeGraw on amazon.com for $9.99!            

Lottie is a junior at the University of Northern Iowa and she is a communications major with a journalism minor. She has always had a passion for fashion and writing, so she figured, why not combine them? She was a writer for Her Campus only one semester before becoming the Editor-in-chief and campus correspondent for fall of 2011. Lottie is very excited to take on the challenge and to make great things happen with Her Campus magazine.