Campus Fashionista: Amanda Biermann

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNI chapter.

Amanda Biermann is not your average college student, nor does she try to be. We spotted this unique campus fashionista at the Family Weekend International Dance Theater and Orchesis Dance Company Show.

Name: Amanda Biermann
Year: Senior
Major: Leisure, Youth, and Human Services 
Hometown: Muscatine

What is your favorite place(s) to shop? Forever 21 and Urban Outfitters

What is one article clothing that you couldn’t live without? Skinny jeans-always! And canvas shoes, I have them in almost every color.

Who is your fashion icon? I hate copying people, and I hate when people copy me. I do what I want; I just wear what I like. Jesus is my only icon.

Any advice to aspiring college fashionistas? Be yourself, don’t be worried about what is in or cool. I don’t wear what is “cool”. I’m not a very cool person.

Elements of Amanda’s Outfit:

Pink hair bow: The hair bow added a fantastic pop of color to Amanda’s otherwise black and white outfit. Plus she bought it at Wal-Mart for a dollar in the little girl’s section! 

Vest: She added this vest to her jeans and top, tying it all together. The button detail, and the gray and black fabric compliment her white shirt, and the detailing around the neck.

Shoes: Amanda finished her look with a pair of her beloved canvas shoes. The canvas fabric allows for a casual look, but is also a change from tennis shoes or traditional flats.

How to get Amanda’s Style (Even though she would discourage it!)

• Find pieces that stick out to you while shopping that add interest to your outfit, such as her pink hair bow. Feather Clip-In feather extensions or a large statement ring will keep you on trend, and spice up your look!
  •  Pieces such as Amanda’s vest help basic jeans and tops come together. Try a patterned cardigan now that the weather is cooling down. 
  •  If you have a favorite accessory, wear it often! Amanda loves her canvas shoes, and is rarely seen without them. It becomes part of your recognizable style, and makes you feel good too.

Key Pieces:
Hair Accessory, Ring, SweaterShoes

Lottie is a junior at the University of Northern Iowa and she is a communications major with a journalism minor. She has always had a passion for fashion and writing, so she figured, why not combine them? She was a writer for Her Campus only one semester before becoming the Editor-in-chief and campus correspondent for fall of 2011. Lottie is very excited to take on the challenge and to make great things happen with Her Campus magazine.