Campus Celebrity: Kayla Nelson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNI chapter.

This week’s Campus Celebrity is known for her fun, outgoing personality. She started her college career at the University of Iowa and soon realized it wasn’t the right fit for her. She transferred to UNI and fell in love. She chose her major because she wants to make a difference in people’s lives every day. It really can’t get much sweeter than that! Meet this week’s Campus Celebrity- Kayla Nelson!

Name: Kayla Nelson

Hometown: Cedar Falls, IA

Year in school: Senior

Major: Leisure Services: Therapeutic Recreation

Job: I’m a part of the amazing staff at Sweet Basil Market- Downtown Cedar Falls

Favorite Food: Chocolate, it’s an every day must.

What is your favorite part of UNI? Definitely the people! Everyone is down to earth and always up to  having a good time. I’ve made some great friends at UNI 

Why did you choose UNI? I started my college experience at the University of Iowa and soon found out it wasn’t for me. Since Cedar Falls is my hometown it was the easy choice. HOWEVER, it didn’t take long to realize everything truly does happen for a reason and UNI is where I belong. I love Therapeutic Recreation and UNI’s program has been a fantastic experience.

What is your favorite college memory? So many to choose from! I would have to say my study aboard trip to Nicaragua my sophomore year.  I love to travel and I learned so much about the different culture. The experience has made a big impact on my future career in Therapeutic Recreation and I would definitely recommended studying aboard to anyone!

What are your plans after UNI? I am interning at the Des Moines Veteran’s Hospital this coming summer.  There I will complete my senior requirements and hope to secure a job for the following years to come. Fingers crossed!

What is your dream job? To be a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist! I dream of a job where I can make a daily difference in the lives of the people I serve.  I know this may sound simple and predictable, but I believe this is a component too often overlooked in many careers. If we all strived to make a positive difference in the lives of others we work with on a daily basis we would all be a happier, don’t you think? 

What do you like to do in your free time? I love spending time with my friends! The end of my college career is approaching too fast and I wanted to enjoy every minute of the time spent with my friends in this crazy college atmosphere. I also like to kick ass (can I say that?!) at Farrell’s Extreme Body Shaping!

Any Inspiring quotes or sayings you like to life by? “One must always be prepared for riotous and endless waves of transformation.”
-Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat Pray Love

Anything else you would like to tell Her Campus? Enjoy the college experience, get involved, travel, and push yourself out of your comfort zone. It’s once in a lifetime experience, for real! 

Lottie is a junior at the University of Northern Iowa and she is a communications major with a journalism minor. She has always had a passion for fashion and writing, so she figured, why not combine them? She was a writer for Her Campus only one semester before becoming the Editor-in-chief and campus correspondent for fall of 2011. Lottie is very excited to take on the challenge and to make great things happen with Her Campus magazine.