Why We Should Stop Buying Animal-Tested Products

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

We’ve all seen the horrible pictures on the internet of bunnies and monkeys undergoing animal testing for beauty products. It’s gruesome and sad, but it’s not the first thing we think of when were picking out our makeup, shampoo, and household products.  

According to dosomething.org, over 1 million animals are subject to animal testing every year. Common tests on mice, rabbits, and guinea pigs involve skin and eye irritation tests where the chemicals are rubbed on their shaved skin or even dripped into their eyes. Beagles are the most common dog breed used to test shampoo and conditioner chemicals. Many of the products that work on animals don’t even pass in human trails, so why is it still happening!? The FDA does not even require animal testing, and there are plenty of scientific alternatives available.

Now, I’m not a die-hard PETA follower, I’m not even a vegetarian, but lately I’ve started to only buy makeup and beauty products that I know are cruelty-free, and it’s easier than you think.

The brands that use animal testing you most likely own. These brands include CoverGirl, Almay, L’Oreal, Aveeno, Dove, Herbal Essences, Dior and Neutrogena to name a few. Here’s a list of companies known to do animal testing on their products:

Companies that don’t test on animals aren’t as expensive and unknown as you think. Familiar products from cheap drugstore brands to high-end makeup and hair products are produced without the use of animal testing. Such brands like Colourpop, ELF, Hard Candy, Too Faced, Wet‘n’Wild, Urban Decay (yes the NAKED palettes are cruelty-free!), and NYX. Here is a list of companies that do not test on animals:

There are even apps available to download on your smartphone that can help you narrow down products that are cruelty-free! Cruelty-Free by Leaping Bunny, Bunny Free by PETA, and Cruelty-Cutter by the Beagle Freedom Project (this one lets you scan barcodes of products!) are just a few popular ones.

Look for the following logos on your beauty products that are certified cruelty-free.

Do your research before making your next purchase to save our furry friends some pain and give yourself peace of mind! If we all team up to boycott animal testing, perhaps the horrible practice will end. 

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!