Why High School Friends Make The Best Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

I think we can all agree going from high school into your first year of college is one of the biggest transitions you’ll ever make in life. It’s tough going into a whole new environment and not knowing exactly what to expect. I know that finding a solid group of friends was one of my main concerns, and although I found some great friends along the way, no one ever compares to my friends from home.

Living in a small town like mine, I grew up with four out of my five best friends. Through awkward stages, bitchy middle school years, first heartbreaks, and graduation, they’ve been by my side. We’ve watched each other grow into the people we are today which is an unforgettable kind of bond. And let’s be honest, nobody shares truly as much hometown pride.

As if having one family wasn’t good enough.. with five best friends you essentially have five more families who will love you almost as much as your own. Who doesn’t love being able to stuff your face with food and booze on major holidays and then being able to go celebrate with your friends and their families.

Reuniting with your best friends from high school is the equivalent to Christmas Day. You probably haven’t seen them in a while and have so much to catch up on. Not to mention, you probably just miss seeing their beautiful faces on a daily basis. No amount of time or distance can change the friendship you share with them, but, it makes time together on breaks all that much better. The anticipated moment of being able to run, jump and nearly knock them to the ground latching onto them like a baby koala.

Now maybe this is just my way of bragging about how awesome my best friends from home are, but also my way thanking these five beautiful ladies who have kept my feet on the ground over the years. Anybody who’s been through high school knows that it is one huge roller coaster ride. Your high school friends have seen you at your best and your complete worst, but love you regardless. I know for me this is one of the many reasons why my best friends from high school will always have the most special place in my heart.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!