Life > Experiences

Why Being Home For the Holidays is the Best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

There is a lot about being at school to love. Having independence, doing what you want, being with friends, and much more. It’s great and all, but Thanksgiving Break is just something that I always look forward to. It’s the first longer break of the school year, and for a lot of students it is the first time that they get to go home since the start of the semester. I know that for a lot of long distance students, like myself, this is the first time since the start of the semester that I have been able to actually relax and forget about the worries of school for a bit. 

For me, I look forward to going home to see my family. With my older sister and cousin also being away at school, it’s a time for the whole family to come back together and actually interact face to face. Phone calls, Facetime, and text messages make long distance easier, but there is nothing that beats actually being able to sit and laugh with your family in person. I only get to go home once or twice a semester at best, and this is the time of the year where I am especially lucky to have such a great home to go back to. This is my second year at UNH, and the anticipation to come home for this break was even more than I remember it being last year. 

Thanksgiving is also a great time to reflect on what we are all personally thankful for. For students that attend a university, that means that there is a lot for us to appreciate. My Thanksgiving is different from other families, and everyone celebrates a little differently, but I think that its important for all of us to cherish being able to come home. For me, being home just makes me so much more thankful and gives me the break that I needed from school life, especially towards the upcoming end of semester chaos. 

Hi! I'm Loryn! I'm a sophomore Sociology and Women and Gender Studies double with a plan for a minor in Psychology. Honestly just out here trying to spread some honesty, positivity, and love.