Where to Go & What to Do, Fun Roadtrips with your Girls this Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Cape Ann

Now I may be slightly biased because I call this beautiful island my home but it is definitely worth the visit. Only an hour and 15 minute or less drive from Durham and you have access to beautiful beaches and an adorable town of fun touristy shops. Cape Ann has been home to such movies as Grown Ups (try a hot dog from Top Dog in Rockport, there Adam Sandler’s favorite), The Proposal (walk down Bearskin Neck lined with cute shops where Sandra Bullock and Ryan Reynolds appeared many times). For those over 21 head into Gloucester to The Crow’s Nest, the popular dive bar from the movie The Perfect Storm. But hey who can complain about a day on the beach and some shopping afterward?!

[pagebreak]

Boston

You always say “Hey let’s all going into Boston this weekend!” and does it happen? If you’re my friends, no, plans sadly always change. However spring time in the city is something you don’t want to miss. Take the train, drive a car, or take the bus, whichever way you chose its less than a 2 hour drive! Eat outside and people watch on the streets, walk through the park to see the tulips, and of course start your summer shopping on Newbury. A fun event you want to be sure not to miss is Earth Fest in May at the Hatch Shell right on the Charles. The day is filled with free music performances from many performers you already know (Switchfoot , Third Eye Blind) as well as up and coming artists plus there’s tons of free giveaways and free food… What college student doesn’t love that?

[pagebreak]

Freeport, Maine

For $20 take a trip to Freeport, Maine, it’s about an hour and 45 minutes on the train which brings you to a quaint town with great shopping. Home of the LL Bean Factory store, grab those bean boots or moccasins you’ve been wanting, or head over to The North Face for jacket deals or Ralph Lauren and Vineyard Vines to satisfy the prep in all of us. There’s great ice-cream and cute restaurants plus everything’s outside so you can enjoy the sunny warmth of spring that we’ve all been anticipating.

[pagebreak]

Portland, Maine

We couldn’t be any luckier having 2 awesome cities right at our fingertips … or train route! Head to Portland for the day, Amtrak tickets start at $16 and it’s a quick hour long ride! Portland is a beautiful city with fun eclectic shops, plenty of music and nightlife, and so many different kinds of restaurants to avoid the dreaded dining halls for at least on afternoon.

[pagebreak]

White Mountains

Two words…Spring Skiing. Who doesn’t love skiing in a sweatshirt and hanging out on the lodge deck with a cold beer? Even though it may not be snowing anymore there’s always plenty of snow left and usually some awesome lift ticket deals. We are truly lucky to be just an hour away from some of New England’s best areas.  Check out Wildcat on warmer days for awesome challenging terrain or head to Attitash or Bretton Woods which both have a nice mix of terrain for everyone plus great après ski activities.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!