What Your Major Says About Your Political Preference

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

The 2016 election has been stirring up a lot of controversy lately, and more than ever on college campuses. UNH specifically has been a special part of it all, with the majority of the candidates visiting Wildcat Country last semester. But over all else, we get to say we lived the Democratic Primary Debate in our own backyard! 

Although the New Hampshire Primary has passed, you out-of-state students may still be contemplating who you should choose to vote for. Or your favorite candidate may have dropped out or may not be moving on to the final election. Keep reading to see who you should have voted for based on your major! 

1. Environmental Science If you are an Environmental Science major, chances are you are a fan of Bernie Sanders. This Brooklyn-born Vermonter is for sure a supporter of Climate Change. Bernie says: “It’s time for a political revolution that takes on the fossil fuel billionaires, accelerates our transition to clean energy, and finally puts people before the profit of our polluters.” With a quarter of the world’s electricity now coming from sustainable resources, Bernie’s plans regarding Climate change are sure to get you ES majors to work!
  2. Justice Studies If you are a UNH student with a dual major in Justice Studies, odds are you like what John Kasich has to say regarding the U.S. Criminal Justice System. While governor of Ohio, Kasich helped mentally ill criminals by increasing the availability of health care, investing in services that will save lives and aiding inmates in overcoming addiction in order to reduce recidivism. If you are a believer of social justice for our mentally ill citizens and inmates, then you should be voting for Kasich! 
  3. Pre-med or Neuroscience Pre-med majors- Come one, come all! Republican candidate and Pediatric Neurosurgeon, Ben Carson, is probably a role model of yours. Famous for his work as Director of Pediatric Neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital and successfully separating conjoined twins, Carson plans to use his medical experience to reform the healthcare system. His plans include a repeal of Obamacare, modernization of Medicare, and enforcing the patient-doctor relationship. If you would like to see a change in the healthcare system as we currently know it, you better be voting for Ben Carson! 
  4. Business If you have an interest in business and entrepreneurship, it’s a fair shake that you like Marco Rubio. Rubio, a first-generation American born to a maid and a bartender, continues to enforce his desire to maintain the ‘American Dream.’ He believes that small businesses are the engine of the economy, driving innovation and creating the bulk of new jobs. In the senate, Rubio received 100% ratings from the National Federation of Independent Business and the Small Business and Entrepreneurship Council. If you dream of owning your own business someday, then you should jump on the Rubio bandwagon
  5. Women’s Studies For some obvious (and some not) reasons, if you are a Women’s Studies major, or women’s activist in general, the likelihood that you are a fan of Hillary is high. Hillary says that if elected, she will ensure equal pay for women, defend women’s reproductive rights and fight for paid family leave and affordable childcare. She believes that any women’s issue is a family issue. If you agree, vote for Hillary!

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!