What People Don’t Tell You About Transferring Schools

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Growing up people always said, “I fell in love with my college and I was happy my whole way through.” For me though, I had a mom who transferred college and found the one she loved, so transferring didn’t seem that scary to me. In senior year I picked a school I could play lacrosse at and went. Fast forward to 2017, my sophomore year–I was miserable and no longer loved the school I went to. I just wanted to leave. I started the process of applying to other schools; man you think that is stressful senior year of high school? Trying to transfer in college is hard. Countless forms, getting sheets signed, making appointment after appointment to figure out the best way to go through the process- and that’s just the start.

Now that you are in college, it isn’t all fun and games. You need to find schools you really want to go to that will accept the credits you already have. Let me tell you… no one told me this. Just because you get accepted to a school does not mean they accept your credits from your major! I can’t stress that enough.(!!) After countless hours on the phone trying to figure out what all this information meant, I found out the school I was accepted to didn’t transfer over my major credits. I was starting over and my credits no longer made me eligible to be a junior. I was going to be a sophomore again (#livingthedream lol but seriously). I thought this was going to be the end of the road for me. I was so focused on the negative things going wrong, I didn’t take a second to realize that it all wasn’t as bad as it seemed.

I now had the opportunity to enjoy my time in college, I have made the best friends, and I realized what I wanted to do. It wasn’t what I was originally in school for, so I changed my major. It hasn’t been easy by any means, but let me tell you, when people say everything happens for a reason, I really do believe it. Since changing my major, I have been able to have so many more opportunities than I would have had if I had continued on the path of my original major.

The moral of this story is: do what you want and take every bump in the road with a grain of salt, because it’s your life and you don’t want to ever look back and think “what if?” So take that risk.

UNH'20 Fitness Addict Instagram: @margauxmunickfit @mmunick1
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!