What Not To Wear: Post Breakup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

We’ve all been there – your (now ex) guy says its not working. It isn’t you, it’s him. He just wants to have fun right now. He needs some time to think things through. There’s someone else. The list is endless. The fact of the matter is, a breakup is a breakup and there’s no rulebook that says how to handle it. Whether you’re heartbroken or not, you’re in a transition stage…and as they say (whoever “they” are) it’s not about how you handle the good times, it’s about how you handle the hard times. Here are a few key pointers I’ve picked up over the years on how to look your best post-breakup.

1. Do not become the trampy bar girl. Yes, you got dumped. Yes, he may be at the bar tonight. And yes, you want him to see what he let go of. However dressing like a call girl and drinking your feelings in tequila is not the way to make him miss you. But it may end up with you crying (and possibly throwing up) your feelings later. The idea is to look classy, timeless, and, of course, sexy. An off the shoulder little black dress is my go-to. There’s nothing an LBD can’t fix. And stick to cosmos for the first night back on the prowl. Vodka is your friend.

2. Do not become a clone of his “new girl.” So what? She’s a little revealing with her 90’s hip-huggers and crop top. He went for you in the first place because of who YOU are. Chances are she’s just a phase. And NEWSFLASH: Becoming her wont win him back.

3. Do not blow three months pay on a new wardrobe. Yes, the breakup was hard and you lost a quick 10 lbs. You look fantastic! But let me tell you ladies that NOTHING comes back quicker than breakup weight. Revenge is bittersweet in that way. Borrow from your friends. Reinvent your style through the closets of others. Get back on your feet. Settle at a comfortable weight and THEN reward yourself.

4. DO however get a little adventurous in your outfits. Say you’ve always wanted to rock parachute pants but your ex thought they were weird looking. Now’s your chance! Do, wear, and live all the things he was holding you back from. Maybe you wanted a chic, little bob instead of your long, golden locks…go for it! The beauty of being by yourself is making choices with only your interest in mind. There’s nothing stopping you from dreading your hair, getting your tongue pierced, or simply painting your nails a very chic shade of black. It’s your life and its time you start living it!

Last but not least,  have the time of your life. The best accessory a girl can wear is a smile, and let me tell you: You could get a Gisele makeover but if you look miserable, he knows you’re miserable. Enjoy your girlfriends, flirt with that guy in your chem class, let down your hair and have a laugh…because nothing makes him say, “I’m an idiot” faster than seeing that you’re fine without him.

Leah Wesolaski. Fashion enthusiast. Study Abroad Florence 2012. www.wildfreecouture.blogspot.com
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!