What to Expect When Testing Negative in Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

A few weeks ago I was notified by my university’s Health and Wellness center that there was a chance I, along with the people I lived with, could have been exposed to COVID-19. Living in my sorority house, this meant that all the girls I lived with were going to be required to quarantine for safety precautions. What I thought was going to be a morbid and long process ended up actually being super beneficial and full of new opportunities. Not only did I get the opportunity to get to know the girls I was living with on a more personal and intimate level, but I was re-reminded how real and serious this virus truly is. Thankfully, the girls and I ended up testing negative all fourteen days, but it was still an educational and awakening experience.

This being said – I had the chance to prepare a list of things to expect while in quarantine while testing negative.

1. The days go by so slow, so you might as well make the best of it.

New Girl Nick Miller Frustrated GIF
Giphy / Fox
Yeah, at times it’s going to feel like the days are just crawling by. Just keep in mind that you are doing what’s necessary to keep yourself and others safe. Maybe start a new hobby, catch up on your Netflix series, or finally get around to tidying up your room and washing your sheets! 

2. Know that everything happens for a reason.

Friends Excited
Giphy
This concept may be difficult to wrap your mind around, at first. For me, I was instructed to quarantine just a handful of days before Halloween. Although this was upsetting at first, it ended up being a blessing. Spikes in exposure and cases are being recorded since that weekened. So, I really was not missing out.

3. Homework suddenly becomes a major priority.

Surprised Beyonce
Giphy
When you have nothing else to do, might as well be productive! In quarantine, I was given the opportunity to get ahead on so many of my more difficult assignments. There were no distractions and I was able to get weeks ahead. A lot of the in-house sisters also found time to catch up on missed/late assignments, too! Use this time to your advantage.

4. Talk about a good time to bond.

gif of Jimmy Fallon saying "you're my best friend and I mean that"
Jimmy Fallon via GIPHY
As mentioned, I was given an opportunity to get to know the sisters in my house more than I already knew was possible. It was a blessing in disguise. Thankfully we were all mindful of the precautions in place and held each other accountable, too. 

5. You are going to be able to repriortizie what is important to you.

Warner Bros. Television
Remember your health and the health of those around you is something important and sacred. Make sure to take the necessary precautions of wearing a mask while socially distancing and making sure you keep your mental health in-check. Whatever it may be, you are going to want to go through quarantine and come out on top of the world.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!