ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What to do in and Around Durham This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Hampton Beach, Hampton, NH (30 minute drive)

Have a Saturday with no work or classes? Make the drive to Hampton Beach. It’s New Hampshire’s most popular beach. You can take paddle board lessons, learn to surf, go deep sea fishing, shop…it has so much to offer and is just a short drive away.

Canobie Lake, Salem, NH (50 minute drive)

Cause who doesn’t love a good amusement park? We all grew up going…at least if you were from NH, MA, or ME so why not go now that your older. Grab a few friends and head to Canobie to enjoy a day reliving the awesome childhood memories. Admission is $36 for a day pass or if you go after 5 pm it’s just $25.

Mt. Major, Alton, NH (40 minute drive)

Pack a picnic and some comfy sneakers. A quick hike up will produce beautiful views of Lake Winniepesaukee. The mountain offers a variety of paths up and down for various climbing abilities. According to reviews the entire hike takes about 2 ½ to 3 hours.

Bellamy Reservoir, Madbury, NH (5 minute drive)

Luckily this beautiful reservoir is so close to UNH it is the perfect place to go canoeing or kayaking with friends sadly you can’t swim there as its Portsmouth’s main water supply.

Wiswall Bridge, Durham, NH (9 minute drive)

Grab a six pack, bathing suit, and a float and come spend the day at Wiswall Bridge. Whether you’re cooling off and relaxing in the water or bridge jumping it’s a fun day that’s right in our backyard.

The Knot, Durham, NH (Main Street)

Well its summer time so the bar scene in Durham isn’t exactly what it is during the school year. Scorp’s is shut down for the summer and Libby’s is too big for the small group of people that head to the bars. The Knot is much more intimate and seems like a way larger crowd than it is plus its open all summer.

Portsmouth, NH (19 minute drive / or bus)

When in doubt go to Portsmouth. Whether it’s to shop, bar hop, eat, or spend the day in Prescott Park there will always be something fun to do all while being located right on the water, providing a nice cooling breeze even on the hottest days.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!