Ways to Make Your Small Space Appear Bigger

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.
So not everyone has the privilege of having a big room or a big apartment. Here are some tips to solve that problem!

Mirrors
Not only do they make the allusion of a bigger space, but it is also great wall decor and lets a lot of light in!

Multi-use storage
By this, we mean things that can use storage, but from the outside you would not be able to tell. UNDER BED STORAGE IS YOUR FRIEND. Last year when I had a lofted bed, I had all my draws and bins under there, but then took a flat sheet and covered it to make it look like I had a long bed skirt (which made it feel more homey too). Ottomans are awesome too and you can find those anywhere. If you have an apartment, there are tons of tables out there that have hidden storage!

Take Advantage of the Wall Space
If you are allowed to, putting stuff into walls makes everywhere else look decluttered. Installing shelves does that but also adds something to the boring walls. If you can do that, command hooks rock. Instead of buying a coat rack or an over the door rack, I put command strips in corners of the room to hang my coats and bags, sometimes it gives the place more decoration too! 

Be Smart with Your Decorations 
Obviously, decorating your room is essential in college because it makes it more customizable to you. But be careful how you decorate it! You might want to consider what is in your color palette. Lighter colors make it look bigger. You also don’t need to decorate every inch of your place, keep it simple. Too many small decorations on your desk can make it look cluttered. If you are into home décor, there is always the rule that anything smaller than the size of a cantelope can make your room cluttered easier. Its better to have a few bigger statement decorations than a ton of small decorations everywhere. What I did for my apartment this year was went with all white with pops of colors and made one space dedicated to pictures and added only a few big things my tables and counters. My place is soo small but these tips helped so much, if you take a few things I am sure yours will too! HCXO 

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!