The Ultimate Kylie Jenner Lip Kit Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Before I get started on my review, I just want to make it clear that I don’t wear a lot of makeup, I don’t know how to contour, and I’m new at wearing so much as lipstick so I want to put that out there. I’ve been overusing the winged eyeliner and touch of cover up look since the 7th grade and there are no signs of stopping but I recenetly decided that I want to try to figure out makeup. Obviously I thought the best place to start would be with a Kylie Lip Kit. I’m a huge Kardashian fan and probably know more about their family than I know about my own, so I was down to buy the lip kit based on my love for all things Kardashian alone. I did a little research before buying, just because spending $40 (after taxes and shipping fees) on a lipstick and lip liner reaaaaally needs to be worth it, and found that there were generally positive reviews. The only color of lipstick I’ve dabbled in so far is red because I think it pops with my dark hair, so when Leo came out during her birthday collection, I knew I had to snag one. I literally hid in a closet at work and waited until the 4pm release time so I could get it. I was victorious and now am the proud owner of my first Kylie Lip Kit. 

So just to make things clear, that is not me in the photo but that is the color I decided to buy. It’s called Leo and it’s a very dark red. It’s actually a lot darker than I had anticipated when I purchased it, so I usually mix it with a lighter nude NYX color that I have. 

The first time I wore it, I was really impressed with how long it lasted. I wore it to a Blink-182 concert (the best night of my young life) and it stayed on the entire time. I didn’t have reapply once, even though I continously went to check the bathroom mirrors because I totally expected to have to re-coat on multiple occasions. The color was just as strong as it had been when I applied originally, no fading or lightening throughout the night. My only complaint was that it does dry out the lips a little bit, but that’s mainly because it’s a matte finish. I own a few NYX matte lipsticks as well and they have a similar effect so I wasn’t surprised or disappointed by that with Kylie’s kit. Since my first attempt, I’ve picked up a pretty good routine on applying and mixing colors.

This first photo is when I applied Leo alone. I start by lining the outer parts of my lips with the lip liner that’s included. It gives me a good idea of my boundaries and where to stop filling in color so that it doesn’t get all over my face (remember I’m a first-timer when it comes to makeup so I need to do these sorts of things). After I put on the liner, I apply a coat of clear chapstick just to make sure my lips don’t go completely dry. It helps prolong the drying but your lips will definitely start to feel dry after a while. Then I start applying the actual lipstick. In this photo, I applied two solid coats of Leo. It’s a really dark red, it can appear almost dark brown or black in bad lighting. That’s not necessarily the color for me, so I mix in a nude NYX. 

This photo is when I mixed the nude NYX matte lipstick with Leo. I went through the same process as before, but then I added a layer or two of the nude coloring on top of Leo. I just like to lighten it up a little bit so it’s more of a red/mauve color. The super dark red is a really nice color, it’s just not something I’d wear on a regular basis.

All in all, I’m a fan of the Kylie Lip Kit but also recommend NYX or similar brands if you’re trying to save money. $40 is a lot to spend on a lipstick and lip liner and as well as it works, NYX works just the same for me. Kylie, I still love you and your lip kits don’t worry. I’m just a struggling college student who can’t afford to buy anymore.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!