The Ultimate Fall Date Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Dating in college is hard for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that we are poor as dirt. Fortunately, there are lots of super fun and inexpensive (or even free!) things to do with your guy in and around Durham. Winter will be here before we know it, so take advantage of one of quintessentially fall date ideas while you still can!

1. Apple Picking: there are some awesome orchards and farms in the Durham area. Sure, $20 a peck is steep for apples, but what you are paying for is the experience: spending the day in the sunshine and doing something new and creative with your date. Check out DeMerrit Hill Farm in Lee or Applecrest Farm in Hampton Falls. Both of these sites feature attractions like hot cider, hayrides, and even petting zoos. My boyfriend and I went to Applecrest last weekend, and I surprised him that evening with homemade apple crisp from our harvest!

The cutest of Fall dates! 

2. Adam’s Point: You don’t need to head to drive half an hour to reach the coast. You can access find the ocean right here in Durham! Follow Durham Point Road until Great Bay opens up on your left. As you drive, enjoy the picturesque winding road during peak fall foliage. At Adam’s Point Nature Reserve, there are trails leading down to the water, so take a walk, sit on one of the benches together, and enjoy the beauty of where we live!

3. Farmer’s Market and Dinner: Going out to dinner is nice, but it is unoriginal and expensive. Instead check out a local farm or farmer’s market. Seacoastharvest.org has a full directory of ocal farms and markets that sell everything from fresh fruits and vegetables, to meat, cheese, and bread. Pick up what you need, and cook dinner together that night. Live in the dorms? Use the dorm kitchen, and picnic instead! Farm fresh food is more expensive, but it will still cost less than your restaurant bill, and the cooking together is priceless!

4. Coffee: Pumpkin spice season only comes once a year, so be sure to enjoy this hot, yummy fall beverage! Sit outdoors at Aroma Joe’s or Breaking New Grounds, and no matter how romantically clueless your guy might be, don’t do Dunks. A coffee date costs less than going out to dinner, and is easy to schedule into both of your busy schedules. Not in a relationship? Going out to coffee is a low pressure, laid back first date.

Nothing says Fall like pumpkin spice!

5. Pumpkin Carving: Pumpkin carving is not just for little kids! Carving a jack-o-lantern or really any shape, word, or design is a guaranteed good time. You can pick the pumpkin together at a local farm or just buy one at the DUMP. When you are done, roast the seeds with some salt and butter for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Place a tea light candle in your creations, show them off to the world, and see if they can stay in one place past Thursday night.
6. Foliage Drive: New Hampshire is one of the best states for leaf peeping, and the colors are changing fast around Durham. This season doesn’t last long, so next nice, sunny day, head out in the car for a drive. My favorite scenic roads in and around Durham are Durham Point Road and Bennett Road, both off of Newmarket Road.

7. Something Active: This one isn’t for everyone, but if you and your boyfriend are both active or maybe even a little competitive, a run or bike ride in college woods is a great way to spend some quality time together. Cool autumn weather is perfect for outdoor exercise, so choose the duration and pace that works for both of you, and get moving. Keep the pace conversational and light because working up a sweat and breathing heavy with your boyfriend is not as desirable on the trail than it is elsewhere.

Natalie practicing what she preaches!

8. Football game: There are three home football games left in the season (10/13, 11/3, and 11/17), so get out and support the Wildcats! Going to a sporting event is a fun, casual date and one that your male counterpart will be thrilled about. Make it casual, and bring your friends along to tailgate with his. My advice: if you aren’t a football fan, don’t pretend to be. You can have plenty of fun and school spirit without ever knowing where the heck the end zone is. Your sincerity and good nature will impress him more than your sports knowledge.

9. The beach: The days of sweating and sunbathing at your favorite New Hampshire beach may be over for now, but it is still fun to visit the shore. Pardon the cliché, but there’s not much better than a long walk on the beach when there are no crowds, easy parking, and a cool, salty breeze in the air. Sporty? There are great surfing waves in the fall, so be sure to bring a wetsuit. If your guy knows how and you don’t, a surfing lesson has loads of date potential.

10. Pawtuckaway Fire Tower: Pawtuckaway State Park is located right in Nottingham, NH, a 25-minute drive from UNH. There are a ton of fun activities to do at Pawtuckaway including climbing, paddling, and public beaches, but this date idea is super unique. Follow the South Ridge Trail and you will find the Pawtuckaway Fire Tower. The hike is an easy 2.4 miles, and you will be rewarded with spectacular, panoramic views of the surrounding lakes, mountains and forests from the top of the tower. Bring a flashlight because sunset and stargazing on the fire tower may be romantic, but tripping and falling on your hike down is not so much.

Junior at UNH