Tricked or Treated?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Every year we gear up for Halloween and reminisce on how much fun we used to have as trick-or-treaters.  What’s better than dressing up and walking around your neighborhood getting free candy?  Well… not much, but there are always a few houses that give out the absolute WORST things. Here is a ranking of Halloween treats (and tricks) that you might find in your bag at the end of the night. 

10. Toothbrushes:

Every neighborhood has a dentist or old person that hands out a toothbrush and reminds you to brush well because you’re eating so much sugar.  Guess what- this is the one night of the year we can openly encourage rotting teeth because it’s Halloween- the more sugar the better.

9. Spider Rings:

Without fail, there is always someone who passes out these stupid rings.  They try to make them seem cooler by making them glow in the dark, but they’re always uncomfortable and you get bored with them in less than 30 seconds. 

8. Popcorn Balls:

Does anyone ACTUALLY enjoy these? Really… I’m serious…  

7. Pretzels:

Pretzels on Halloween are almost as bad as popcorn balls.  They come in stupid Halloween packages and you’re lucky if you get 5 pretzels in a bag.  They might offset the sugar you’re eating, but who wants that? Nobody.

6. Dots:

To be perfectly honest, I’m not sure how Dots are even still being manufactured.  Every time I got a box of Dots in my bag, I would make a sneaky trade with one of my friends or I would just throw them out.  They don’t really bring anything to the table… in fact, they might actually take away from the table.

5. Candy Corn:

Let’s be honest… nobody really likes candy corn.  We all pretend we like them because they’re associated with fall and Halloween but they really aren’t that great.  And they certainly aren’t good enough to be giving out on Halloween night!  They serve a better purpose as a decoration than they do as Halloween treat.

4. Raisinets:

I know a lot of people like these, but on Halloween, they’re a no-no.  Anyone who tries to sneak any form of fruit in my candy bag on Halloween is just plain mean.

3. Tootsie Pops:

Tootsie pops are a pretty decent candy to get in your bag- they’re definitely not the best, but they’re far from the worst. 

2. Fun Sized Candies:

Ok so now we’re getting to the good stuff.  There are so many different options here it’s hard to go wrong.  From Skittles, to M&Ms, to Snickers, you get a little sample of everything you could want.

1. King Sized Candy:

King Sized candy bars are the real deal.  Every neighborhood has that one family who goes all out on Halloween and gives out the big candy.  But with these candy bars comes a pretty big decision: Do you eat it first, or do you save the best for last?

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!