david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Top 13 Movies You Need To Watch This Halloween Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

It’s that time of the year again: ~fall~. And if you’re anything like me then you’re ready to turn in your towels and sunscreen and trade them in for sweaters and Pumpkin spice EVERYTHING. In my opinion there is no way to better prepare for the upcoming ‘spooky season’  than to bundle up and watch your favorite Halloween movies. So grab a snack, get comfy, and get ready to be spooked. 

13. Lucky number thirteen on this list goes out to an absolute classic: The Addams Family (1991). Nobody does Halloween better than this family and this oldie but goodie is a must-watch to kick-off anyones halloween season. 

12. Number twelve on this list belongs to: Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993). Although this one could technically be watched during the holiday season nothing sets the mood better than the films classic song, This is Halloween, while watching Jack Skeleton, the Pumpkin King himself, parade down the streets of Halloweentown. 

11.  In slot eleven sits a thriller: Halloween (1978). This chilling movie puts the ‘spook’  in spooky. Pro tip: Do not,  I repeat, do not watch this film alone if you’re easily frightened by jump scares. But if you’re an adrenaline junkie seeking something to excite you about the upcoming season, then this is for you. 

10. At number ten we have, of course,: Beetlejuice (1988). Beetlejuice and Halloween are like PB&J, they just go together! This movie has iconic moments  like the dinner scene featuring the classic song, “Day-O” (banana boat song) while also incorporating bits of humor and scare throughout the film.

9. Number nine on the list belongs to the wholesome flick: It’s The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966). This movie was a tradition for my family and I to watch growing up,and if you just want an up-beat, yet in season, film to watch I highly recommend. Nothing warms your heart more than a classic ‘Peanuts’ film.

8. Number eight is for the horror movie junkies: Scream (1996). This movie has a star-studded cast including, Courney Cox, Skeet Ulrich, and Drew Barrymore to name a few. The film was so popular it had a Scream 2, 3, and 4 to follow! If you’re seeking a classic, yet slightly overdramatic, horror movie this season, I highly suggest Scream.

7. Sitting at number 7 is Ghostbusters (1984). When four scientists lose their position at NYU and accidentally stumble upon a gateway to another dimension, they must clean up the mess they made. This supernatural comedy is for the lighthearted who aren’t as into horror movies but are still in the Halloween ~spirit~. This 80’s classic is an all around feel-good and upbeat flick. 

https://media.giphy.com/media/11jGtzDu7Nh89a/giphy.gif

6.  Practical Magic (1998) captures number six on the list. If you’re like me and love the 90’s aesthetics, then that alone is a reason to watch the movie. And with stars like Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman, you really can’t go wrong. The movie also centers itself around sisterhood and female power… amazing.

5. Number Five is one of my favorites, Twitches (2005). I don’t know about you, but this one brings me straight back to my childhood and had me secretly hoping I had a secret ‘Twitch’(twin-witch) running around somewhere. If you want to take a trip back to your child-hood and Coventry then I highly recommend watching.

4. Another great film takes the fourth position, Casper (1995). This film about friendly ghost falling for the new owners daughter, is all-around wholesome and cute. Plus, you can never go wrong with a Christina Ricci film.

3. Number three is Halloweentown II: Kalabar’s Revenge (2001). This sequel is a strong follow up to the first Halloweentown film as Marty explores her powers as a Witch and fully comes into herself. 

2. Number two goes out to the first of the series, Halloweentown (1998). In my opinion, this movie should be considered a national treasure because Debby Reynolds had blessed us with her presence in this iconic film. Also, you’re lying to yourself if you don’t think Debby Reynolds’ (Rest in Peace) character was the coolest grandma we all wished we had. 

1. And last but CERTAINLY not least is my personal favorite, Hocus Pocus (1993). No list of Halloween films is complete without this title. This is the ultimate go-to Halloween movie, Hell, I’d watch this movie all year long if it was more “socially acceptable”. Nothing beats this iconic cast of Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Kathy Najimy. If you take anything from this list PLEASE watch Hocus Pocus. 

And with that, the list is complete! Now you’ve got some movie watching to do!

Hi everyone! My name is Jill, I'm from Foxborough, MA and I'm a sophomore Communication and Women's studies major at UNH. This is my first semester writing for HerCampus and I am so excited to get started!
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!