Top 10 Things to do Before Graduation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

It’s already almost March of my senior year in college and I can’t even begin to explain how fast the past four years have gone by.  It feels like yesterday that I was moving in to my room in Christensen.  As my last semester of college flies by, I have been brainstorming a list of things I want to do before I graduate.  It should be recognized that some items on this list have been done before (by me, and probably you as well), but they are things I believe should be done again one last time (in some cases more than once!).  Also, this list is in no particular order.

1. There are some great restaurants in this area and I believe every senior should attempt to eat at every restaurant on campus at least once.  This includes Libby’s, DHOP, JP’s, Wildcat Pizza, The Dairy Bar, Mei Wei, The Knot, Ballards, Village Pizza, The Bagelry, Wings Your Way, Pauly’s Pocket, and Kaleida-Scoop (sadly no more Stat’s).  If you’re not too full after hitting all of those you may also want to try some amazing local restaurants that aren’t too far from campus.  This includes La Festa Pizzeria in Dover, The Holy Grail in Epping, Newick’s Lobster House in Dover, The Big Bean in Newmarket, and of course all of the eateries Portsmouth has to offer.  Bon Appetit!

2.  Designate one night of the weekend to a Durham bar crawl.  Hit up Ballard’s, The Knot, Libby’s, and Scorp’s in one night.  What better way to celebrate the end of your college career than by visiting all of your favorite bars all in a few hours.  Get a crew of your friends together and try to plan it out so you get the best deals at each bar!

3.  In order to accomplish #3 you must act fast!  Winter is almost over and I think every senior should experience sledding on Wagon Hill.  Split the cost of a snow tube with your roommates or steal a tray from the dining hall (if you dare) and head over before the snow melts.

4.  When spring comes and the campus is finally covered in grass again, we all know T-Hall lawn will be filled with students taking naps, playing Frisbee, walking on a tight rope, or just hanging out with friends.  Grab a book or a friend and head over!  You’ll miss being able to sit outside on a beautiful spring day when you’re working 9-5.

5.  Spend a day in Portsmouth.  Even if you don’t have a car, the UNH bus can get you there, and if you plan on drinking, Safe Rides can get you home.  I suggest going for a day with friends when it’s warm and sunny out.  Go shopping, get some great food at the Portsmouth Brewery or Fat Belly’s, then later at night enjoy the bar scene at The Page or The Gaslight.

6.  Go swimming in the outdoor pool.  You’ve all seen it before; though I’m sure many haven’t visited it yet.  It’s located right outside the Whit and all you have to do is fill out a form and they’ll put a sticker pass on your student ID.  The pool has a snack bar and it’s a great way to cool off when the hot weather finally arrives. 

7.  Going right along with the pool topic is hitting the local beaches!  Hop in a car and head to Pirate’s Cove in Rye or Hampton Beach.  You’re bound to see a ton of other UNH students, especially when they overtake Pirate’s Cove as soon as the weather hits a consistent 65 degrees.  This is definitely a must-do before graduation.  Tip: Get to Pirate’s Cove early when the weather says we’re having a beautiful day, especially on a Friday/Saturday/Sunday.  The side of the road parking makes it difficult to find a spot and if you get there too late you may end up parking spot a long walk away.

8.  Take the Amtrak Downeaster to Boston for the day.  One round-trip coach seat ticket will run between approximately $30 and $36.  I suggest an early depart time from Durham, with a quick stop at The Dairy Bar for breakfast.  Then upon arrival at North Station in Boston (after only about an hour and a half ride), walk the few blocks over to Faneuil Hall and the North End or take the T to Newbury Street for some shopping!

9.  Stock up on UNH apparel!  Although many UNH students don’t live too far away, many of us are out-of-state or have plans to move far away after graduation.  Before May 21st I know I will definitely be dragging my parents to Hayden Sports and the bookstore to get a new sweatshirt, t-shirt, mug, hat, etc.  Okay, just kidding, but I will probably want to buy a few UNH items before I leave.  We all want something to remember our amazing four years here by!

10.  Participate in random UNH Activities.  See a movie in the MUB.  Go to the spring concert (if you could actually get a ticket!).  Stop for an iced coffee at Ramone’s.  Eat at Wildcatessen.  Visit your favorite dining hall.  Stop by your old freshman dorm and say goodbye.  Get a flavored Red Bull at Zeke’s.  Go to a sporting event.  Play an intramural sport.

Good luck seniors in completing this list! If you aren’t a senior and you read this list anyway, start making your own list now!  Yes freshmen, even you.  You have no idea how fast college goes by until it’s over.   I firmly believe in living a life with no regrets so make sure you accomplish everything you want to at UNH before it’s too late!

(photos: www.udine4less.com, Facebook: Ballards Bar, Scorps Bar and Grill, www.campusrec.unh.edu

New Jersey native, Stephanie, is a junior in the Whittemore School of Business and Economics at the University of New Hampshire. She is majoring in Business Administration with a dual concentration in Marketing and International Business & Economics. She loves the city and lived there last summer while interning for Ann Taylor. Stephanie loves sushi and Starbucks lattes. She is also a proud member of Alpha Phi and currently serves as the Treasurer on the Panhellenic Council.