Tips For Navigating The Distance Away at College

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Moving away from home and having to adapt to a new lifestyle in a new environment can be difficult. So can being away from the people you love.

Here are some tips that I have acquired while being apart from my family, friends and significant other that make being away at college more manageable.

Setting Time Aside

During the school/work week, everyone gets busy. Sometimes the day goes by and you realize that you haven’t texted your parents or checked in with your friends from home. One way that I have learned to prevent that from happening and to avoid that sudden feeling of guilt is by setting time aside. Walking back from class is the perfect time to make a short but valuable phone call. It doesn’t have to be an hour-long conversation, but just something short and sweet. Creating those short times when you are available to chat with someone from home allows you to be able to stay in contact more easily.

Communicating

Sharing your schedule with your family and friends is very important when keeping in touch while away. If you and those you love know when there is mutual free time, staying in contact becomes more doable. That way when you know that you both are available, you can call each other and text.

Share Something New

Being in a long-distance relationship is very difficult in the beginning. This is mostly because you’re not used to being so far from each other all the time. One way I have overcome the disadvantages of being apart from my significant other during my long-distance relationship is by sharing something new for us to bond over. This can be as simple as starting a new TV show together and debriefing about the latest episodes. Another idea is maybe even finding a new video game that you both enjoy and spend time playing with each other. Introducing something new that you and your significant other can bond over allows a new connection to be formed and keeps your relationship exciting.

Make Goals

It’s important to make goals while being in college. Having a goal creates a more positive mindset and motivates you to want to do better. These goals can be getting a good grade on an exam or even meeting up with a friend at least once a day.

These few simple changes to my everyday life have helped me overcome the distance while being away at college. They created a new mindset and outlook on the disadvantages of being so far away from home.

Carly's a freshman majoring in biochem. She loves going to the beach, taking pictures of sunsets and spending time with friends.