I am probably not going to be the first to tell you that everyone is fighting their own battle and for that reason, we should all ensure above all else that we are kind to people. Some people are looking for a reason not to fall apart and other people just need a sign that everything will be okay— and let me tell you, it feels incredible to be that for someone. Being kind is not always the easiest thing to do, there are plenty of people who at some point I believed didn’t deserve my kindness; you know, the people who didn’t think I deserved theirs. But those are the people that may need it the most. There isn’t a person alive that is undeserving of your kindness. How someone treats you is a reflection of their character but how you respond is a reflection of yours.
In the past few weeks, I have started to recognize just how important it is to spread kindness to the people I love and even the people I meet on the sidewalk headed to class. Strangers need as much love as our closest friends and I have committed myself to making sure everyone gets that feeling of unconditional love. I spent too long thinking of compliments I could give, or actions I could do to brighten someone’s day, or thank-yous that needed to be said but I never did anything about it. So now I am challenging myself to commit to following through on these thoughts. The people around us deserve to be celebrated, loved, and appreciated. Here are the top ten ways I’ve used to spread kindness in the past few weeks, hope you choose to use some of them!
1. Write someone a thank you letter to express true gratitude for something they have done for you.
2. Reach out to someone you haven’t spoken to in a while and tell them how much you miss them.
3. Ask your friends and neighbors if there is anything they need help with; oftentimes people are too afraid to ask.
4. Check in with the people in your community about their mental health and physical health.
5. Compliment a stranger.
6. Pay it forward, pay for the person behind you in the drive-thru line.
7. Share with someone the positive impact they’ve had on your life.
8. Surprise someone: bring them a coffee or a treat!
9. Carve out time for someone you’ve been rain-checking recently.
10. Smile at strangers.
Remember, while it’s important to be kind, you can’t pour from an empty cup so check in and be kind yourself!