This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

In our busy world, time is a limited resource, and nailing time management is crucial to success in your career and in school. It doesn’t matter if you’re a professional in your field or just starting out; time management can enhance your productivity, reduce stress and give you a better work-life balance. I’ve personally come to appreciate the impact of effective time management on my academic and professional life. So, let’s dive into some strategies for time management that can help you excel in your career and in school!

PRIORITIZE! PRIORITIZE! PRIORITIZE!

One of the fundamental principles of time management is prioritization. Not all tasks are created equal, and it’s essential to distinguish between urgent and important tasks. To effectively prioritize, categorize tasks into four quadrants: urgent and important, important but not urgent, urgent but not important and neither urgent nor important. 

Set Clear Goals

Setting clear, specific and achievable goals is key to effective time management. Your career journey should be guided by these goals. Break down your long-term goals into smaller, actionable steps and use them as a roadmap to manage your time efficiently. Regularly review and adjust your goals to stay on track.

Time Blocking

Time blocking has become my secret weapon. Time blocking involves scheduling specific blocks of time for dedicated tasks or activities. By allocating time for focused work, meetings and personal development, you can minimize distractions and improve your productivity. Consider using digital or physical calendars to create a structured daily or weekly schedule.

The Two-Minute Rule

The two-minute rule, which I first heard about in the book Getting Things Done by David Allen, suggests that if a task takes less than two minutes to complete, do it immediately. This rule has saved me from the clutter of small tasks piling up on my to-do list. It’s one of my favorite rules I’ve learned since getting to college.

Avoid Multitasking

While many people believe multitasking is a time-saver, it often leads to reduced efficiency and increased stress. Instead, focus on one task at a time. When you multitask, you’re actually switching your focus between multiple tasks rapidly. This constant task-switching reduces your overall efficiency because it takes time for your brain to adjust to each new task. You’ll end up spending more time on tasks than if you had tackled them one at a time. Completing tasks one after another with your full attention can lead to better results.

Learn to Say No

In your career, you will likely encounter numerous requests for your time and attention. It’s crucial to learn to say no when necessary. Being a young professional, we are eager to prove ourselves and establish our reputation in the workplace. Politely declining tasks or commitments that don’t align with your goals or priorities can free up time for more important things.

Take Breaks and Recharge

Effective time management isn’t about working every minute of the day. Regular breaks and time for self-care are essential to maintain productivity and prevent burnout. Short breaks can refresh your mind and improve focus. Taking breaks and allowing time for recharging is not a luxury but a necessity for maintaining physical and mental well-being.

Mastering the art of time management in life is an ongoing journey that requires practice and self-awareness. By implementing these strategies, I’ve created a more structured and efficient routine. Time management not only boosts your productivity but also contributes to a healthier work-life balance. Start prioritizing your time today. I hope this helps!

University of New Hampshire’24 Business Administration Major