Republic Records

A Taylor Swift Song for Every Situation on Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Valentine’s Day is different for everyone. For some, it’s a day filled with happiness, others disappointment, and for some, it’s just another day in February. No matter what your plans on the 14th include, Taylor Swift has a song for you. Here’s some songs based on what your Valentine’s Day might look like and my favorite lyric from each one (spoiler alert: most of them are from the bridge!) 

If you are in love:

“Lover” → “Ladies and gentlemen, will you please stand? With every guitar string scar on my hand, I take this magnetic force of a man to be my lover.” 

“You Are in Love” → “And you understand now why they lost their minds and fought the wars. And why I’ve spent my whole life tryin’ to put it into words.” 

“King of My Heart” → “Is the end of all the endings? My broken bones are mending.”

“Long Story Short” → “And he’s passing by, rare as the glimmer of a comet in the sky. And he feels like home. If the shoe fits, walk in it everywhere you go.”

If you are going through a break-up: 

“Forever & Always” → “Was I out of line? Did I say something way too honest, made you run and hide like a scared little boy?” 

“Last Kiss” → “And I hope the sun shines and it’s a beautiful day. And something reminds you, you wish you had stayed.” 

“Happiness” → “There’ll be happiness after you, but there was happiness because of you. Both of these things can be true.”

“Clean” → “Hung my head, as I lost the war, and the sky turned black like a perfect storm.”

If you are thriving on your own: 

“We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” → “And you would hide away and find your peace of mind, with some indie record that’s much cooler than mine.” 

“I Forgot That You Existed” → “It isn’t love, it isn’t hate, it’s just indifference… so yeah.” 

“Getaway Car” → “Put the money in the bag and I stole the keys, that was the last time you ever saw me.” 

“I Know Places” → “They take their shots, but we’re bulletproof.” 

If you don’t really know what’s going on, (which is totally valid): 

“The Story of Us” → “I’ve never heard silence quite this loud.” 

“August” → “Back when we were still changing for the better. Wanting was enough, for me it was enough.” (ouch)

“Out of The Woods” → “But the monsters turned out to be just trees, when the sun came up you were looking at me.” 

“Death By A Thousand Cuts” → “I ask the traffic lights if it’ll be alright, they say ‘I don’t know.’” 

No matter what, Valentine’s Day is all about love – whether it’s for yourself or someone else. Happy listening! 

Hi! I'm Meaghan and I'm a Freshman at the University of New Hampshire majoring in Recreation Management & Policy from Scituate, Massachusetts. I love music, the outdoors, and writing!
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!