Survival Guide for Being a Transfer Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

If you are a transfer student, I feel your pain.

I am a sophomore at the University of New Hampshire, and I transferred here second semster of my freshman year. Transferring can be an emotional, stressful and difficult transition but in the end you know you are making the right choice. The goal is to be happy! Here are some tips to make tthe transfering proccess easier.

Put yourself out there.

As cliche as that sounds, it may be the most important thing to do when transferring. You’re “late to the party” in a sense. People have already established friend groups and have gotten over most of the hardships of being a freshman. At first many freshmen can feel homesick, feel as if they don’t have anyone or any support, or just want to fit in and make friends. Don’t just sit in your room. 

Get involved. 

This is another piece of advice you may hear a lot, but it is definitely a crucial part of the process. You will not meet people and create new friendships unless you have something forcing you to do that. At UNH they offer a club fair called U-Day at the beginning 

• college transfer; transfer student
  • transfer student
  • I'm sophomore at the University of New Hampshire from Bedford, NH and I am studying journalism with a dual major in ecogastronomy. 
    This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!