The Struggles of When Your BFF Turns 21

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

There is nothing worse than being one of the last ones in your friend group to turn 21. There is a whole other world out there that they are experiencing that you are legally not allowed to be a part of. You want to be happy for them, but it’s hard when they are doing what twenty-one-year-olds do. There are some serious struggles everyone goes through when their best friends turn 21.

When they leave you for the bar:

Because your BFF’s are now “too cool” for house parties and leave you to have a magical time in the bars. It’s okay, though, you can have a fun time without them, right? Plus, think of all the money you’ll save.

When they order drinks at dinner:

When you’re out to dinner with your best friends and because they are 21, they exercise their right to get drinks. They are all ordering fancy drinks and then the waiter looks to you, and you shamefully have to say that you’ll just take a water.

The unknown world of the liquor store:

When you offer to drive them to the liquor store but you have to wait in the car. So you’re stuck there wondering what the f*ck is behind those doors.

When they come home from the bar, and you have to take care of them:

Because we all know you’re too good of a friend to let them suffer alone. So you help them to bed and tuck them in for the night.

When you automatically become the designated driver:

Because who else is gonna get them home safely.

When your birthday suddenly feels 10x further away than it really is:

Your 21st can not come soon enough. It feels like ages until you’ll finally be able to join your friends at the bars and you just wish the day would come already. Your BFFs can not wait either, though. They have been waiting for you to join the ranks for a while now. They can not wait to bring you to the bars and buy you your first legal drink. So, hang in there, we’ll make it someday.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!