andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Struggles of Being the Third Wheel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Let’s face it, we have all been the third wheel at one point in time. It’s almost impossible to avoid when your bestie gets a significant other. While you are extremely happy for your friend to be happy in their relationship, you can’t help but miss them when they’re with their significant other; resulting in becoming the third wheel. There are some struggles every third wheel has been through:

1. Always being the photographer

Being the third wheel makes you the designated photographer for the couple. You are always snapping cute pictures of the couple; planned and off guard. You become their paparazzi.Plus it is always fun photobombing. 

2. Planning something with your bestie to only have their SO tag along

Alone time with your bestie can become slim when they get a SO but any time spent with them is a going to be a great time. So even when they bring their SO along it can still be made into a fun night.

3. Trying to ignore them when they start kissing

It can start to get awkward when you’re out with your bestie and SO and they start making out. You end up pretending to be texting and looking anywhere but at them.

4. When you are walking with them and get bumped to the back

This is when we start to hate how sidewalks are made so small. Whenever you are forced to walk behind them, you always look like a lost puppy trailing along. 

5. When they are fighting and you’re just trying to stay out of it

Except you never seem to stay out of it no matter how hard you try because you’ll end up hearing about it later. 

6. When have to remind them that being single is cool

7. When you learn that alcohol is the best way to deal with being the third wheel

At the end of the day your bestie is happy, you’re happy for them, and you’re happy with your relationship with pizza.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!