So You Ate 10 Pounds of Halloween Candy, Now What?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

As a kid, dressing up on Halloween and going door-to-door trick-or-treating was the highlight of the fall season. We all remember getting back to our house that night with bags full of Twix, Snickers, and Twizzlers and dumping them out on the floor so that we can count and trade our new loot. The college experience with all this candy is a little bit different. Our metabolisms have slowed down and we worry that all of these chocolates and sweets will head straight to our stomach and thighs.  After trying to eat healthy foods all week prior to Halloweekend in order to fit into skin tight costumes, we tend to crack when offered a bowl of candy on the actual night.

So you wake up Sunday morning and realize that over the past few nights you’ve eaten approximately ten pounds of Halloween candy. Crap. Where do you go from there?

The Gym

It’s always a good place to start. If you exercise, then your body will naturally crave healthier foods, and if you eat healthier you will have more energy and ambition to go to the gym. Starting out at the gym after a weekend of bad eating habits will start you off on a new cycle.

Healthy Snacks

Have left over candy from the weekend? Chuck it. Go down to the dining hall or the grocery store and get yourself some apple slices with cinnamon and peanut butter. Not big on fruit? Try the classic “ants on a log” snack made with celery, peanut butter, and raisons (or for a different taste try craisins). Any sort of fruit or veggie will fill you up more than candy and get you back on track.

Don’t Dwell on It

We all have those weeks/weekends where we know we didn’t eat that well, but if you let it get to you, no progress will be made. Don’t sit in your room and sulk about it, get out and make a change! Watching countless episodes of your new go-to Netflix show will just make you want to eat more candy out of boredom.

With that being said, a little Halloween candy is not going to hurt you, believe me I ate my fair share too, but getting back into the habit of going to the gym and eating right will balance out whatever you ate this past weekend in not time!

UNH 2018
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!