Small Things That Improved My Life

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.
  1. Podcasts

There was a time when I was not a podcast girl. I couldn’t get into listening to someone else talk or two people having a conversation. I eventually realized that I was listening to the wrong podcasts and once I found podcasts where the topic or people actually interested me, I was hooked. I would now say that I listen to upwards of five podcasts a week. Whether I’m walking to class or doing small tasks around my apartment, I tend to have a podcast playing in the background. I have found a variety that I enjoy ranging in topics such as comedy, fashion and pop culture. I feel as though they stimulate my brain more but also calm me more than music does at times. 

1. Heatless Curls 

So many people in my life have used heatless curls and curlers for years and I never got on the train until recently, and now I don’t know if I’ll ever go back to using heat to curl my hair. They are so simple and comfortable to sleep in. It has saved me so much time to be able to put my hair in the heatless curlers and take them out in the morning before class. Additionally, I feel as though my hair has gotten healthier since using less heat on it which is another plus! 

1. Sleeping Masks

I remember being a little girl and begging my mom to buy me the sleeping masks from Claire’s with the different sayings and graphics on them and then they would sit in a drawer and never get used. I have now begun using them and I feel as though I have really seen improvements in how I sleep. I recently started using one that I was gifted and I really feel as though it has changed how I sleep. It helps me fall asleep faster because it blocks out any light that would come into my room and enforces deeper sleep cycles! 

1. Prioritizing Exercise I Enjoy/Walks 

At many points in my life, I have done different types of exercise that I feel will help me reach a certain goal quicker. Recently I have begun to prioritize exercise that I enjoy which I have come to realize is walking/running. I personally enjoy cardio more than I enjoy weight lifting or other types of exercise. Implementing movement that I genuinely enjoy has made working out more pleasant for me and something that I look forward to instead of dread.  

1. Matching Sets 

Regardless of whether it’s a matching pajama set or a matching sweat set, both have improved my life in some way, especially in college! In my opinion, there is nothing better than getting into matching pajamas after showering and doing your skincare while you have a candle burning. I’m all about romanticizing the moment. It just makes going to bed and sleeping even better! Additionally, matching sweat sets have been my greatest investments in college because they make you look put together even when you’re wearing sweatpants and a sweatshirt! You can also mix and match which is another plus.

Natalie is a Senior Communication Business Application major at the University of New Hampshire. She is the Social Media & Marketing Manager of UNH's Her Campus Chapter.