Six Life Lessons I Wish I Knew When I Was Younger

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

As we get older we wonder what we could have done different if we only knew the things we do now. I wish I could have told my younger self all the life lessons I had learned over the years.

1. Many times in my life I postponed, procrastinated and gave up on things because the situation wasn’t perfect. I am now stuck wondering what if I had taken that job or went out on that date.

The life lesson I wish I knew when I was younger is there is no waiting for the perfect time, job or situation. If you want to do something go out and do it NOW.

2. My parents were never my opponents. When they stopped me from doing things, it was because they have been in my shoes at one point and knows how it will end. Most of the time if they were stopping me it’s because they knew it would end badly. My parents always let me make my own mistakes, but I wonder sometimes how different the situations would have been if I listened to them.

The life lesson I wish I knew when I was younger is that it’s not true that your parents don’t know what you’re going through because in reality they know how it feels.

3. I remember my first heartbreak and how I promised myself that I would never go through so much hurt again. The heartbreak hurt because someone mattered to me and it will hurt every time someone means something. I thought that as I got older it would be easier.

The life lesson I wish I knew when I was younger is that a heartbreak will always hurt no matter your age.

4. What might seem like a disaster, a complete failure or a resentment toward someone won’t be a significance just a chapter in my life. The fights I got into with friends won’t hold any importance in the end. There is no point in holding grudges, anger, or hurt.

The life lesson I wish I knew when I was younger is that holding a grudge will only make you bitter and not help the situation.

5. I always thought when I was younger that I needed to have that coach purse or that Hollister shirt. The need to fit in and not go against the tide was crucial when I was younger.  As I got older the need to fit in doesn’t matter to me anymore.

The life lesson I wish I knew when I was younger is it’s not about fitting in, but being an individual.

6. I always wish I was older growing up. I never really knew how precious time is. There are no responsibilities. Make the most of your time; spend a day in the sun and laughing with friends because someday these things might get put on hold.

The life lesson I wish I knew when I was younger is time will not be here forever so make the most of it.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!