Life > Experiences

Seven Lessons I learned my First Two Months of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.
  1. It’s a lot different than high school

You know when you used to roll your eyes in class when your teacher said something along the lines of “you won’t get away with this in college”? Yeah, they’re right. It’s very easy to forget assignments or do poorly on them and just redo them or make them up. In college, that’s a fat no. The teachers don’t care if you just simply forgot or were too tired to do something. Surely, they’re not going to let you make it up either. There’s a lot more reading and studying too in order to understand topics. It was always easy for me to study the night before and get an A on a test but I’ve quickly realized that’s not the case here. There’s more content on a college exam than there is on a high school test so PLEASE, please; study. 

My advice: Do your work and do it well!

1. Getting sick is no fun

I hadn’t felt homesick until I got sick. I had a high fever, couldn’t stop coughing, the whole nine yards. All I wanted was to be lying in bed at home with my mom bringing me a nice bowl of chicken noodle soup. It taught me how to care for myself but boy did it suck. 

My advice: Stock up on cold, flu, and other common medicine BEFORE you get sick.

1. I’ve learned to be more organized

Time management is huge!! With classes scattered out every day, you have to plan when you’ll study and do your homework, when you’ll eat, when you’ll do your laundry, when you’ll take a shower, when you’ll go to the gym, when you’ll hang out with friends, and just when you don’t think there’s any more time, when you’ll sleep! It’s hard to balance everything out but try your hardest!

My advice: Use a planner or agenda!

1. It’s very easy to eat like crap

There are way too many unhealthy options at the dining hall and it’s easy to fall into the habit of eating those things meal after meal. It’s okay to cheat once and a while and have your fav cheat food but you have to balance it out with the healthy options. 

My advice: Try having every color of the rainbow on your plate. The more colors, the better!

1. There are so many free, fun activities that the school puts on!

TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS!!!!!!! 1.) it’s free 2.) it’s fun 3.) IT’S FREE I went to go see Tinder Live with Lane Moore and let me tell you, that was the funniest thing I’ve been to in a while. These activities don’t run super late so yes, you’ll still have time to get ready LOL. 

My advice: Grab a few friends and just go! It’s so worth it!

1. The squirrels.

The squirrels on this campus are like no other. They will jump out of the dumpster and scare you half to death while you’re throwing away your trash. Not fun! They’re also a lot bigger than normal squirrels? I don’t get it but I’m sure everyone will agree.

My advice: Do not feed them. Do not go near them.

1. GET INVOLVED

If you take one piece of advice from this article, take this one. It’s so important to become involved with things on campus because it’s going to be one of the main ways you make friends! Joining Her Campus was one of the best decisions I’ve made so far. Even if it’s by joining your dorm’s hall council, you’ll still meet new people. You’re going to be here for the next four (maybe more) years so why not make the most of it!

My advice: Join a club or two!

just your average nursing major trying to survive:)