This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Wow. It is hard to believe that I am writing the first article of my senior year at UNH. It is another one of the many “last firsts” I have been experiencing lately. As excited as I am to create a new chapter in my life, I am going to miss my happy little bubble in Durham very much. 

This year I have a lot on my plate, academically and otherwise. I am taking a capstone course in nutrition that connects skills we have learned from many classes to prepare us to counsel and treat a client of our own for eight weeks. I am excited to connect with someone and hopefully make a change in their life for the better, but I am also extremely nervous to test my abilities. Aside from this, I am writing articles for HerCampus (which I absolutely love), working in an office on campus, starting my honors thesis research project and am a member of two other organizations related to nutrition+wellness. I am certainly busy, but I love being involved and active in our community on campus. I really want to rock this year, and I have set a few goals for myself to make it the best it can be. 

The first is time management. College is this weird vortex where time just keeps speeding up. The days move so quickly and there is simply not enough hours to accomplish everything. This year, I hope to balance my days and give equal effort to all of my responsibilities including spending time with my friends. I have found that I am most productive in the early morning and into the afternoon. At a certain point in the evening, I hit a sort of mental wall. Knowing this about myself, I plan to accomplish the majority of my work during the day, and leave the night open for exercising, socializing, writing, listening to music, and other activities that allow me to rejuvenate and replenish for the next day. I’m certain not every day will flow like this, but it is helpful to keep this schedule in mind. 

I really want to explore more of New Hampshire! I am from Connecticut, and coming to this school I was so excited to experience a new area rich with mountains, forests, and the Atlantic. I have loved soaking up the sun in Portsmouth and at Hampton Beach, as well as going on my first real hike up Mount Major; but I hope to do more. Who knows where I might end up in the working world next year, however, while I have this beautiful state at my fingertips I really want to make the most of it. So, I plan to jump right in and head to the White Mountains to hike Mount Washington and Lafayette. The views look absolutely incredible! Although I’m not much of a skier, my boyfriend is a ski instructor at a mountain in his home-town in Vermont, and he has been guiding me down the bunny-hill, lol. Maybe this year I will make it up the lift and feel free for a day on the slopes at Loon! 

My last goal is to be mindful. Mindful in the people I choose to spend my time with. Mindful in the food I choose to nourish my body with. Mindful in the work I do for my classes. Mindful in the activities I choose to participate in. Mindful in noticing what makes me feel happy and loved, and what doesn’t. Most importantly, mindful in taking advantage of the opportunities this year that this campus provides to prepare me for my future career in nutrition+wellness. 

I also plan to journal more regularly this year, to keep these memories and feelings alive. I really want to make sure I take time to be reflective and purposeful in all I do. 

Best of luck to everyone this year at UNH, make the most of your time here, it goes by way too fast! 

carpe diem. xo. 

Hello! My name is Emily and I am a Senior at the University of New Hampshire studying Nutrition+Wellness. I love food, dogs, and the beach! I am excited to bring you on my journey of living well as a college student!