This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Last spring, I was in Boston for Semester in the City. Unlike the UNH campus / surrounding area and my little hometown, Boston has an amazing variety of yummy restaurants to explore.

Here are some of the food places I tried for the first time and loved.

Whole Heart Provisions – Allston

I LOVE this place. Such a gem, right in my “home” neighborhood. Between the signature bowls and the build-your-own options, there are a lot more options here than many other vegan places. The selection of grains, plant proteins, toppings, and dressings is varied. The food is served quickly yet tastes high quality and is very filling.

Inbound – Allston 

Inbound is your classic pizza and sub place, located right next to the green line stop at Harvard Ave / Commonwealth Ave. My friends and I frequently opted for this quick, easy spot (minutes from the Allston apartments) for lunch or dinner. 

FoMu– Allston 

FoMu offers homemade plant-based ice creams, frozen treats, baked goods, and smoothies. It’s the perfect place to try a fun new treat. Their ingredients are consciously sourced and local whenever possible. Also has locations in Jamaica Plain, South End, and Fenway. 

Habenero– Allston 

Mexican restaurant with a pretty large menu, but no shortage of staples like tacos, burritos, and quesadillas. Food is authentic, hearty, and tastes great. Vegetarian options are available for a number of dishes. Will definitely leave you craving more. 

Union Square Donuts – Brookline

Cute little artisan donut shop offering a mix of classic and inventive flavors, with seasonal donuts and vegan options. Highly recommend grabbing half a dozen on a Saturday morning to surprise your roommates. Also has locations in Somerville and in the Boston Public Market. 

Life Alive – Brookline

Organic and plant based cafe that serves grain bowls, smoothie bowls, teas, juices, smoothies and more. Great for vegetarian, vegan, or health conscious eaters. Colorful and comfy interior. Definitely a fun spot to check out with friends. There are two Boston locations and a Cambridge location. 

Chiharu Sushi – Brookline

Chiharu is a WONDERFUL restaurant with an exciting menu, gorgeous presentation, generous servings, and lovely staff. Guaranteed crowd pleaser for a dinner with friends. 

Revolution Health Kitchen – Boston 

RHK is just steps away from the MFA and is also close to the Northeastern campus. What I love most about them is their focus on local ingredients. They pride themselves on being Back Bay based (they also have a Back Bay location) and you can taste the quality and freshness in their smoothies, bowls, soups, juices, toasts, salads, and more. I couldn’t wait to return here after my first trip. 

Suya Joint – Roxbury

The Roxbury restaurants have a special place in my heart because that is where I did my internship. They don’t need my sentiments though, their food can speak for itself. Suya serves West African food, which I had never tried. One thing I particularly liked about their menu was that, although they have a lot of offerings for meat and fish, it was also easy to customize meat-free orders. The portions were quite generous, and my fellow diners and I were psyched for our leftovers the next day. There is something for everyone here, and it is always tasty. 

Dudley Cafe – Roxbury

Dudley Cafe is a lively neighborhood spot located in Nubian Square. They are another place that uses local ingredients, as well as partnering with youth programs, schools, community organizations, and more. The menu is composed of breakfast, sandwiches, bowls, and tacos and burritos. My favorite is the bowls, which are each named after a woman from history (like Malala and Maya Angelou), and have delicious vegan and vegetarian options. 

Hi! My name is Julia Scanlan. I am a junior & transfer at University of New Hampshire (spent my freshman year at Loyola Chicago) and a Social Work major. I'm so excited to be a part of this wonderful organization!
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!