Life > Academics

Self-Care Tips During Midterms

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

I don’t know if I’m the only one, but these last few weeks have been the most busy I have ever been and my self-care has been neglected to say the least. I’ve recently had to learn how to incorporate any form of self-care in small easy ways that work for my schedule and I don’t have to think much about. Here are my top five self-care tips that have helped me destress during the turmoil of midterms.

Put your phone down.

This is one of those sayings you hear all the time and rarely do, but I cannot express how much this has helped me destress and clear my head. Every night, I make a point to my phone on Do Not Disturb and find something else to look at and spend my time focusing on. Whether that is reading a book, watching a show, or even finishing up a last- minute assignment, looking at something other than my phone each night has helped my anxiety levels as well as feeling overwhelmed and feeling like I need to respond to every email or text.

Reflect on your day and journal.

This one sounds more complicated than it actually is, but writing about my day and reflecting on everything I did has helped me destress so much. I am very simple when it comes to mine and I actually just write bullet points of everything I did throughout the day, whether it be assignments, errands, or hanging out with friends. Seeing my day from a birds-eye view and how accomplished I was really gives me perspective on how much I actually am doing and feel like I am staying on top of everything. 

Perfect your nighttime routine

Over the last few weeks, I have realized how important my night time routine is for me. It’s my time to get ready for bed in peace and quiet and actively enjoy what I’m doing. I’m the type of person that enjoys doing my skincare and haircare routine so this has been enjoyable for me to take the time to do. Usually I listen to a podcast or music while I do my routine and taking my time during each step has helped me slow down and destress immensely. 

Sit in silence

Throughout the chaos of my day, I intentionally set aside time to sit in complete silence. As weird as it may sound, for me it is similar to meditation where I get to be alone with my thoughts without any outside distractions. I never realize how loud the world can be until I actively take the time to sit with my thoughts and turn off the chaos of the week. 

Give yourself breaks

My to-do list seems to be never ending during this time of year, but it is important to remember that you are only one person and can only handle so much. Take a break in between your tasks even if it’s just for a half hour. When you’re exhausted and stretching yourself thin, your to-do list seems more daunting and out of control. Sacrifice 30 minutes to an hour of your day to do what you want to relax and recharge your battery.

University of New Hampshire '25 Business Admin: Information Systems & Business Analytics.