This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Winter break is finally over and classes are in session. I’m starting my second semester of my junior year which means I’m finally done taking most of my discoveries and learning about the topics that actually interest me. I spent a lot of time over break thinking about the changes I wanted to make this semester. While reflecting, I began to realize that the only time I start to push myself to do better is when I’ve already fallen behind miserably. In the past, it was common for me to score lower on my first exam than the others throughout the semester and that’s because it takes me so long to find that motivation. One goal of mine is to do great on my assignments and exams right off the bat. If I find the drive to get in the library a little earlier, maybe then I won’t have to play catch up the rest of the semester. Towards the end of last semester, I started going to a professor’s office hours pretty regularly. Even if it was just to reflect on the chapter we were learning about in class or doing some extra practice problems, it was incredibly helpful. Not only did it help me gain confidence while working on assignments, but it helped me build a relationship with my professor which is something I encourage students to do. This semester I plan on seeking guidance early on in the course instead of waiting until I need the extra points. Another goal I made is to actually read the chapters that are assigned. Sure, it’s easy to keep up with all the reading at first, but as the semester goes on, I couldn’t even tell you where those books are anymore. Most of the time, those readings are actually assigned for a reason and can be easy questions to answer on an exam or homework assignment. Lastly, I really need to learn to study without my phone. It can be hard when you’re using your phone to listen to music or have to ask a friend about an assignment. A few times last semester, I just put my phone in my backpack and tried to get a big chunk of work done before checking it again. Phones are a huge distraction and when people complain about spending countless hours in the library, it’s usually because they spend half of that time on their phone.

I find that making academic goals are very helpful, but they are hard to achieve. However, I am a little better at maintaining personal goals. One personal goal I made is to find books that interest me and read them when I have the spare time instead of taking naps or watching Netflix. I also really want to start focusing on self-care, as everyone should. Over break, I realized how important it is to take time for yourself and to take care of your body. Exercising regularly and taking care of my skin are two things I really want to focus more on. Over the semester, it becomes easy to break good habits you develop over break like washing your makeup off every night and going to the gym every day. Lastly, I need to budget carefully. It’s really hard during the semester to save money, especially when your friends always want to go out for dinner/coffee but I need to learn to say no. There’s really no need to go out all the time when you can make meals/cups of coffee in your apartment or at the dining hall.

Good luck to everyone this semester! I hope you accomplish all your goals <3

I am a senior at the University of New Hampshire studying Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing and a minor in communications. I'm so excited to be HC UNH's CC this year! Check out my blog: https://www.cupoftblog.com/ HCXO <3
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!