nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Saying Goodbye To A Decade

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Hey Y’all 

It’s the year 2019, and that means, as I’m sure you have heard that the decade is ending. It is still hard for me to piece together that I am 20 years old and my childhood has come to an end. Before we say hello to the next 10 years, let’s reminisce and say goodbye to the last. 

The beginning of the decade, I was blessed with a little sister. Up until I was 7 years old, I was always the youngest and was the one that always looked up to people, but once Isabella came into this world I knew I had to be one for her to look up to. It gave me a role and purpose as a sister, and she helped shape me into who I am today. 

During the 2010’s, I discovered my love for the outdoors. Whether it’s hiking, running, skiing, or adventuring. Discovering this hobby and love has helped me through some of the darkest of times, and without it I’m not sure what I would do. It brings joy and happiness into my life and it has helped me move my mountains, chase after my dreams and kill it at the finish line. 

Half way through the decade, I reached the peak of adolescence and I got my drivers license, crazy right? Going through drivers ed, learning the ways of the roads and becoming more aware of my surroundings allowed me freedom, with a curfew of course. 

Towards the end of the decade, 2018, I reached one of the biggest accomplishments anyone at the age of 18 could wish for, I graduated high school. Now high school may have been the best, worst 4 years of my life, but I did it. Class after class, friendships that fell apart, hearts were broken and the overwhelming stress of just being a teenager sometimes got to me, but I stuck it out and even applied to college. 

The end of the decade has to be the best. I found my forever friends, and my forever home. Applying to college, getting accepted and going to UNH has been an amazing opportunity for me. My best friends are everything to me. They were right when they said your college friends become your family. I have also had the amazing chance to be Co-President of HerCampus at UNH with my partner in crime, Ari. I could not be more thankful for the end of this decade. 

So what’s next? Graduating college? Finding the career of my dreams? Traveling and exploring the world? Marriage and children? Guess we will have to it back, and let the new roaring 20’s do their thing. 

Xox

Allison

Current co-president of UNH's chapter of Her Campus
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!