This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

1997-2017. The years of AOL Instant Messenger. The epitome of most of our generations way of communicating. Whether it was through instant message, the dramatic “worst day ever! DO NOT text” away messages or the song lyrics clearly directed at your 7th grade crush displayed in your profile. 

And who could forget the intriguing sound of the door opening. Who could it be? Your best friend to tell you all the latest gossip since you missed school sick today? Or is it your crush, singing on just for you to stare at his name too scared to send a message first. And then there was the constant urge to change your icon and your profile and even make a new screen name when you seemed to have outgrown the original. 

Everyone thinks we are glued to our phones? Well, they have no idea how much time was spent on AIM making groups on your buddy list of “girls”, “guys” and “besties xo”, praying to not here the closed door sound of that special someone signing off and making sure your profile looked picture perfect. 

Nothing is more fun than reminiscing on the 2000’s whether it is old Lizzie McGuire episodes, Kidz Bop CD’s or our beloved AIM. Except, for looking back on the embarrassing, who-knows-what-we-were-thinking, hilarious screen names we chose. Here are a few funny ones to get you to think of what your middle school brain thought was the perfect way to represent you:

chattychica96 – Yes, this was mine. I am a girl and I apparently was exceptionally chatty. And how much more original can you get than your birth year??? (there was also jslx0O and jesssaidwutt)

twixluver222 – I guess when you like Twix, you really want everyone to know.

swimchicky12345 – Just keep swimming! And counting!

x0tannergirl0x – I don’t think anything screams AIM screen names more than the “x’s and 0’s”. 

omgitsjule – Just as iconic as the “xo” is the “omg it’s” before a portion of your name. C’mon you know you all did it. 

And here’s some more to give you a chuckle and remind you (even if you don’t want to) of your witty and play-on-words screen names: 

omgitsjule, x0tannergirl0x, justforkicks8126, cocopuff6998, awsmtigger, Ryryp33 & the list goes on ladies-

now travel back in time to your lovely (or maybe not so lovely) adolescent youth. 

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!