Review: ‘Conversations With A Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

If you haven’t checked out Netflix’s ‘Conversations With A Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes’ then you definitely should. There are only four episodes, each lasting about an hour or so and it’s definitely worth it to binge watch all in one day. Here’s the thing – it’s not really a conversation between Ted Bundy and the journalists. Ted doesn’t like to talk about what happened because he doesn’t believe that these things actually happened. The only way they get Ted to talk is by telling him to refer to himself in the third person. They have him explain why someone like this (him) would do these things. Since he was in law school, this was a particularly interesting angle for him to take, and that’s how we got a little insight to Bundy’s twisted mind.

I wasn’t super familiar with Ted Bundy’s case. I knew who he was and what he generally did to girls but I didn’t know his story whatsoever. Throughout the docuseries, I became super interested in this case because it really was unlike any other. In the episodes, each interviewee really makes it known how ‘normal’ of a person Ted was. He was seen as an attractive, charismatic guy; no one expected he would become a notorious serial killer.

There were a lot of things that surprised me about Bundy’s story. I couldn’t believe he escaped from prison TWICE. I guess the 70s-80s really were a different time, because that would never happen now. He was literally alone, without handcuffs and jumped 25 feet out of a window and escaped. LIKE WHAT! He was gone for 6 days before anyone found him and really, they only found him because he got into a car and went right back to Aspen because he was hungry and had no money… His second escape is also mind blowing. He lost almost 35 pounds in order to fit through a small hole in the roof of his cell. He then crawled into the chief jailer’s apartment, stole clothes, and WALKED out of the prison. He was gone for something like 45 days and literally took every means of transportation and still wasn’t found until he stole a car. The freaky thing about Ted Bundy is that he somehow can look so much different by changing one little thing. I’m not sure how people didn’t just recognize him from his smile and those bright blue eyes but he was really good at pretending to be someone else.  

It was so interesting to see how good Bundy was at hiding evidence. He killed so many innocent women, some of which are still unknown. Because he was in law school, he knew what detectives did and didn’t pay attention to and unfortunately was able to use that to his advantage. It’s also crazy to me that he defended himself throughout his trial. Ted Bundy was really like no other. The fact that he also somehow got married and had a baby while in prison is mind blowing to me. I’m telling you guys, if you haven’t watched these episodes then you definitely need to.

With all that being said, I know a lot of people are romanticizing Ted Bundy. This docuseries has gotten a lot of buzz over the past week or so and I really think we should take time to remember the 30+ victims that were brutally murdered without even having a second to defend themselves. As I was scrolling through Twitter the other day, I saw someone tweet about each victim, explaining the hopes and dreams they had for themselves; it was heartbreaking. You can check that out here. All I’m asking is that you don’t get caught up in his looks but what evil things he did to women, just like us.

I am a senior at the University of New Hampshire studying Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing and a minor in communications. I'm so excited to be HC UNH's CC this year! Check out my blog: https://www.cupoftblog.com/ HCXO <3