This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

A secret you may or may not have known…

For those who don’t know, many professors who work in the Art and Art History department in the Paul Creative Arts Center bring their dogs into work almost every day. Yes, you read that right: every day.

Being a photography major allows me to spend a great deal of time with these pups (and of course, it makes me cry happy tears because who wouldn’t love these precious faces?!)

It dawned on me that many people who do not come into PCAC or are a part of the department don’t know about this. So, I’ve taken the liberty of going around gathering info and pictures of these precious puppies. The purpose is to share all this info with my fellow Wildcats and hopefully put a smile on your faces (since everyone knows a dog can make college kids super happy).

1. Chili

Chili is a Catahoula Leopard Dog who was born in April of last year. Professor Verrot (who teaches art history) and his wife, Professor Hebbard (who teaches French at UNH), adopted this little pup last summer from Louisiana. They really liked the name Chili, and it’s fun to call him “Chili Dog!” when he’s doing something he’s not supposed to do.

Once the construction in PCAC starts slowing down, we’ll be seeing Chili more often. However, you can occasionally catch him on some Wednesday afternoons in the French Café in Murkland.

His favorite thing to do is sleep by the fire and learn new tricks. (Of course, he is rewarded with some yummy treats).

He gets very upset when people walk by Professor Verrot’s office and don’t say hi, so next time make sure to pet this cute pup when you see him!

2.  Walter

Walter was named after the famous poet Walt Whitman. He’s four years old but still seems like a puppy. His owner, Professor Michael Cardinali who teaches photography, says Walter is “both shy and exuberant.” He loves running and playing around and enjoys being trained. He gets so happy when he figures out what he’s being asked to do. Eventually, he’ll be rewarded with his favorite thing: treats. He also loves peanut butter, anything meaty, and surprisingly hummus. He’ll come running from the other side of the house and magically appear when he hears the hummus container open.

3. Bode

Bode was named after skier Bode Miller, and his owner, Professor Don Williams, who teaches ceramics, describes them both as “crazed, reckless, and cute.”

He’s 3 years old and has one of the most precious faces you’ll ever see. He’s pretty shy around new people (I’m still trying to make him warm up to me, but he licked my hand once so that’s progress). 

He loves trying to catch the cursor during PowerPoint presentations and chasing laser pointers. He also likes hanging out in the snow and rain and watching reruns of Lassie. (Is anybody else happy crying from that last sentence? No? Because I am.)

4. Rhody

Rhody is an adorable Australian Sheppard dog. She loves following her owner, Professor Ben Cariens. He teaches drawing and sculpture. Most times she can be seen sitting in Ben’s office waiting for him to get out of class. She loves being held like a baby with her front paws on top of your shoulder and will sniff out food like it’s her job.

Always remember: peace, love, and puppies.

Hello! I'm Julianna and I graduated from the University of New Hampshire with a major in BFA: Photography and a minor in Business Administration. I was a Contributing Writer to the Her Campus UNH Chapter beginning in October 2016. In September 2017, I got promoted to Senior Editor, and then I was one of UNH's Campus Correspondents for the Fall 2018 - Spring 2019 school year! This organization was such an incredible experience and I can't wait to see what great things the chapter does in the future. HCXO, Julianna :) http://juliannasagliano.com/
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!