jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Positive Mind for a Second-Semester Senior

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Look at us, on the brink of second semester senior year. Let that sink in, and remind yourself of how far you’ve come. Cue in all the interjections  of “Yeah, soon the party is over and then you’re in the real world– it sucks!! Get ready!” I hate this response because (1) it’s negative rather than uplifting or celebratory and (2) that’s not really true–it’s how you interpret it and adjust to a new routine. It’s just another step in life and growing up. It should be celebrated. But, for now, I implore seniors to truly value each day moving forward, as well as make the most those Libby’s (or Scorps, whatever team you lie on :)) festivities.

Everyone who knows me can clarify that I’m genuinely the happiest girl on the planet: always in a good mood, always laughing, encouraging friends and spreading the good vibes. But, last semester, I had my first encounters with stress that evoked slight anxiety, both academically and emotionally. This never happened to me before. I was always able to rise above stress with happy thoughts, faith, and my personality. But for some reason, I was feeling blue way too often, and that affected how I saw myself. 

With the rising course load, reverse culture shock from studying abroad last spring, and questions bursting about the job-hunt and plans for next fall, I felt a weight on my chest that was impossible to lift. I tried not to let it show, and only really talked about it with a few friends and my family (thank you so much for the support!). After turning to friends and the counseling center, I learned how powerful positive thinking and self-confidence really is, as well as accepting that it’s okay to not be okay 100% of the time. During winter break as I settled in my hometown, I wanted to ensure that the next four months were approached in a positive way….

Rather than succumb to thoughts of uncertainty in the job-hunt and if I am “good enough”, I’m changing my thinking. Here are just a few positive reminders for the final four months. I will be incorporating them each day, hopefully you can too/already are:

1. Enjoy something each day

I look forward to getting Union salads with friends, my coffee spots on campus, or my route to class staring at the snow and sky that rests against T-Hall. The little conversations with roomies/friends, or running into people you haven’t seen in a while–these can brighten any day. The pleasures may be simple, but it’s a good start in valuing each day. If it helps, write about it in a journal or planner, as a record of what was pleasant in view that day. These days are limited, and will be over before you know it.

2. Collect more memories of the nights we don’t remember :)!

When that song makes ya move and that D-Hop makes ya smile, you know it was a good night. As it says in my planner each weekend “Have fun, be safe, get lit, and enjoy everything”–it’s a good tangent away from the school routine. Also, before we’re successful and can be comfortable with spending more than dollar drinks, let’s take advantage of it here–responsibly with a little fun! Make the most of those fun Libbys or Scorps nights with your girl gang.

3. Read motivational material each day (outside of classwork).

I know it’s hard to read outside of classwork/projects/deadlines, but it’s so important to gain more perspectives. It’s powerful to see motivation on paper and then put it into practice. This is the perfect way to start the day or end the night during the week. My picks: G’Morning, G’Night by Lin-Manuel Miranda (available via his Twitter post or his compilations in his book!), or the Mindfulness app! Both medias provide short, motivational messages that remind us to relax and re-focus in the midst of our crazy schedules. Incorporating mindfulness has been introduced to me recently. For those that don’t know, it’s the ability to recognize where you are at the current moment, (pause) how far you’ve come, (pause) and how you’re interpreting a conflict in your life. If you can, integrate acts of mindfulness in your day. You don’t have to spend too much time on it, and it can be very uplifting.

4. Make changes in your routine

Upgrades in your workout grind, routes to class, hang-out spot on campus during breaks, or devoting a night or two in the week to cook or bake, can be considered changes in routine. It offers a new perspective and a switch in what can seem like the ordinary patterns.

5. Reach out to friends you hardly see!

There’s nothing better than catching up with people you haven’t seen in a while. There are many friends I run into at the bar or in-route to class and say “we need to hang out! There’s so much to catch up on!” Each week, make a plan with these types of friends–it’s refreshing and you can hear how they’ve been/what they’ve been up to.

I’m happy to say that I ended the fall semester exceptionally well academically. Grades don’t define you, but it felt great to see positive results (perhaps my best semester ever!) after experiencing constant high levels of stress. As far as emotionally/self-confidence, I’m not 100% back, but definitely much better and I’m happy about that!

If your plans for after-grad have been polished (grad school decisions, jobs, etc), I have the sincerest congratulations! If you’re destination is undetermined, that is OKAY. We came to UNH to be students first. Go ahead and work hard; keep doing what you’ve been doing for the past four years! At the same time, don’t put pressure on yourself and value your time in senior year. Instead of saying “wow I don’t want to leave” and “omg four months of fun left,” stop the negative thinking here and say “I’m here now, and I’m going to value each day! I won’t look back on my final semester in haste or regret”

Hi I'm Bri! I'm an English major with a minor in Communication from CT. I've been a Contributing Writer to the Her Campus UNH Chapter since October 2016. For the Fall 2018 - Spring 2019 school year, I was promoted to Senior Editor. The women at HC-UNH are truly amazing, displaying strength and emotion in their writing. I love being a part of the team, and reading many perspectives on music, academics, life, and relationships. 
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!