The Perfect Indie Music Mixtape

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Lately I’ve felt like I’ve been listening to the same old pop and rap music prevalent on most college campuses and felt like I needed a change. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good Ed Sheeran song just as much as the next girl, but I wanted variety. For this reason, I started listening to indie music and have found many perks in listening to this genre. For one, you can go to concerts at a much cheaper cost since the artists are less well known. Another benefit is the amazing car playlists (or mix-tapes if you don’t have an aux in your car like me) you can create. Many indie songs are relatively upbeat, making them easy to jam along to, while simultaneously broadening you and your friends’ musical knowledge and tastes. Here, I have provided some of my personal favorites to get your first playlist started.

1. Dangerous Night – Thirty Seconds to Mars

2. The Night We Met – Lord Huron

3. Kids – MGMT

4. Trouble – Cage the Elephant

5. Adore – Amy Shark

6. Naked Kids – Grouplove

7. American Money – Borns

8. Budapest – George Ezra

9. Spirits – The Strumbellas

10. Stolen Dance – Milky Chance

11. Fluorescent Adolescent – Arctic Monkeys

12. Oxford Comma – Vampire Weekend

13. Mountain Sound – Of Monsters and Men

14. Believe – Mumford and Sons

15. Shake it Out – Florence and the Machine

16. Seven Nation Army – The White Stripes

17. Float On – Modest Mouse

18. American Money – Borns

19. New Slang – The Shins

20. Mr. Brightside – The Killers

Whether you’re casually listening to music while writing that long essay you put off or need a fire road trip playlist, be sure to check out some indie music.

This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!