This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Campus Celebrity: Parker Wheeler 

Voice of the Wildcats

If you’ve ever listened to the UNH Hockey game on 91.3 FM you may have heard Parker Wheeler giving the play by play. UNH senior can not only be heard on air for hockey games, but during the Wildchats Sports Radio show every week. Read more about the WUNH Sports Director and what it takes to organize everything behind the scenes. 

Major: Major in sport studies and minor in English journalism.

Year: Senior

What is your position at WUNH? 

I’m the sports director at WUNH and play broadcaster for UNH Hockey.

How did you get started?

My freshman year I knew I wanted to start broadcasting sports on the radio, so I went to WUNH and got started right away.

What is your average week like as the sports director?

I oversee and manage 18 other sports department members and we host three weekly sports shows on WUNH. I also broadcast all home and multiple road UNH hockey games for the station. So on a weekly basis I give everyone slots on each show and make sure all sports that need to be broadcasted have a broadcaster to do them around the UNH campus.

When are the shows?

The shows are Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 6-9 a.m. and Thursday night from 6-8 p.m. The shows are called Wildchats and the conversations range from heated sports arguments to how good the sushi tasted in hoco this week. It gets a little crazy sometimes.

So besides the hockey games, when can we hear you on the radio?

I host the Thursday night Wildchats show on 91.3 FM.

What is your favorite part of the job?

My favorite part has to be broadcasting the hockey games. It’s also one of the most challenging things I’ve ever done. Trying to use words to paint the picture of a hockey game to listeners can be a tough task, but it’s a heck of a lot of fun.

What is the hardest part?

I’d say the hardest part is getting all 18 members on the same page. We like to have four people on every show. It’s difficult when everyone has a different schedule and people are all over the place. So making that work is sometimes a struggle. 

What is your dream job?

My dream job is to be a television play by play broadcaster in the National Hockey League.

Tune into 91.3 FM next semester every Thursday 6-8 p.m. or during any hockey game to hear Parker on air! You can also steam it live online using this link: http://www.wunh.org/listen

Follow him on Twitter too!

@ParkWheels