This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

It’s kind of crazy how a place that was once entirely foreign can become the most home you’ve ever known.

With spring in the air, and seniors in high school preparing to embark on their four-year whirlwind; I catch myself reflecting on how quickly my first three years of college have flown by. I am thinking back to my apprehensive and unsure freshman-year self walking wide-eyed around a campus I barely knew, sitting in huge lecture halls feeling so insignificant. Now, as I sit in my favorite local coffee shop in Durham on my last day of Junior year classes, I cannot imagine a time when this sweet little corner of New England wasn’t my favorite place to be. I know, sappy, but I mean it.  

I have fallen in love with so many places, people, and most importantly myself through this journey. With our Senior year just months away, I want to take a moment to reflect on the greatest gift UNH has blessed me with. The one who excites my soul and inspires me each and every day to live passionately.

You.

There is so much that I love about you. I can’t write it all down. There aren’t enough words to express it properly. It’s just a brightness inside of me that is continually growing. I’ll try and share some highlights.

You are so artistic and creative. You are constantly observing our world and imagining different ways to capture it. Your lens is so special, and you always shock me with what your mind invents whether it be photography, music, or design. I’m so proud of you for having the courage to change your path of study to something that excites you and suits your beautiful talent. The world is filled with people waiting to be wowed by your work, and I can’t wait to see what you do.

You are adventurous. The thought of scaling mountains on skis, mountain bikes, and anything you can get your hands may be scary to some, but it makes your eyes twinkle and I just melt. All you need is your Subaru, the right hype-up song, and a sunny winter drive up to the mountain to have the biggest smile wash over your face. And seeing you smile is my favorite thing. Even better is watching your eyes light up when there’s a fresh coat of snow hanging on the trees or when the sun peeks out over the mountains. You make me appreciate our beautiful earth and how lucky we are to explore. I hope to be as cool as you on the slopes one day.

You are hard-working. I have never met someone so driven. You have big dreams for the future and you are determined to make them a reality, which I know you will. You take such care and consideration into absolutely everything you do, always making sure that your best work is achieved. You juggle so many things in life both socially and academically. You manage it all with such grace and still make time for our special moments.

You make me whole. You have taught me so much about myself. You empower me each and every day, and inspire me to be the best version of myself. Because of you, I am so comfortable in my own skin and have watched myself grow in all aspects. You remind me that it’s okay to take risks, that life is precious and we only have one so why not live it to the fullest. You remind me to be present, to enjoy each day and all it brings. I have tried so many new things and seen more of the world than I ever thought I would. And it’s all thanks to you. I can’t wait to see where we create memories next.

You truly support and love me unconditionally. You make me laugh harder than anyone. You quite literally finish my sentences, and always seem to know what I’m thinking before I say it. You know me better than I know myself. You have the most incredible heart. You are my blessing. I adore you. Forever.

xoxo. carpe diem. 

Hello! My name is Emily and I am a Senior at the University of New Hampshire studying Nutrition+Wellness. I love food, dogs, and the beach! I am excited to bring you on my journey of living well as a college student!