harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

My Transition from a Blackbear to a Wildcat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

When I was about to start my first semester at the University of Maine, I was prepared to spend the next four years living in Orono. I found my perfect roommate and what would hopefully be my new best friend. We talked about joining a sorority together, maybe joining a few clubs, and participating in club sports. We had high ambitions for our first year in college.  When we moved in, it turned out to be nothing what I had pictured. After just a week, my roommate dropped out of school and I found myself feeling as lonely as ever. I didn’t end up joining all of the clubs I thought I would, and I made very few friends. 

With Thanksgiving break coming around the corner, I knew that I had to change my situation. When I started looking into transferring schools, I felt really ashamed. I felt as though I was a failure for not sticking through with my decision. Eventually I decided that my mental health was more important than my ego. 

After applying and being accepted into the lovely University of New Hampshire, I would literally count down the days until I would be able to move in. I was eager to move in and start my new life at what would hopefully be a better choice for me! Although I was excited, I didn’t know what to expect. I was scared that I would feel left out and uncomfortable, starting a school in the middle of the year. I wished that there was some kind of a resource that would guide me in what to do when I got here. So, to any transfer students that may be reading this, here is what I wish I knew when I transferred and what I should have done:

So many people transfer!

It’s super common for people to transfer after their first year or even their first semester! It may seem like you’re giving up too easily, but it is better for you to transfer earlier in your career so that your credits don’t get too messy! Also, the university provides resources connecting you with other transfer students when you first arrive. This makes you feel less alone in your first few weeks and lets you interact with people who are experiencing the same things as you. 

It’s not too late to join groups!

Although it seems like everybody has already accrued their friend group for the next couple of years, you will continue to make friends until the time you graduate. There is always room for another friend in most social circles. 

This applies to clubs, too! Even though students generally join groups after U Day, some will allow students to join in the middle of the year. It may seem weird to be an outsider in a group, but most of them are happy to have more members. So, join some groups, make new friends, and have a great time!

Find support and resources!

When I first transferred, I was scared that I wasn’t going to like this school either. I didn’t want to have to transfer for a second time. It’s important to meet with your advisor and express your concerns right away. It’s a good idea to let them know what concerns you may have about starting at a new school. They often have a lot of resources for you to utilize as a new student. Also, don’t be afraid to reach out to PACS. Although it may seem silly to talk to a counselor about transferring, but it’s nice to get your thoughts heard by somebody who can give you professional advice. There is no shame in talking with a counselor!

Create new routines for yourself!

When I first transferred, it would have been a great opportunity for me to push myself and do new things. I wish that I had started a gym routine for myself when I first got here and was able to maintain that through the years. The gym isn’t the only option though! There are plenty of free classes offered through the rec center or you can do meditation through health and wellness. Whatever it is you’re interested in, there is a way for you to try new things on campus. You might as well try new things when you’re already trying out a new campus!

Have fun!

I know it seems like college should be all about your education but, it’s important to have fun when you can. This is a time in our lives to be making mistakes, goofing off, and having fun! Our educations are important but, what’s the point of paying for an education if you can’t have fun while you do it? 

Transferring seems hard at first but, after a couple days, it’s so easy to see how much better it will turn out to be. Make your transfer and make the most of your experience!

I am a Freshman at College of Charleston, studying Biology and German, who is also a member of Sigma Kappa! I actually am from Stuttgart, Germany but the military child life made me end up in the United States.
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!