This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Now that the semester is in full swing, it’s time to buckle down and get studying. It’s that time of the semester that the tests start to pile on, but don’t let them stress you out. Instead, get prepared early and go into the test feeling confident.

Don’t wait until the very last minute to try to cram all of the information into your head. It will only leave you burnt out, stressed out, and ultimately, not prepared to earn an A. Start reviewing at least a week in advance. When you do this, you will send the information into the long-term memory storage in the brain, while if you cram, you’ll forget most of it after the test. This will come in handy come time for mid-terms, leaving you less stressed then as well. 

A week or so before your exam, create a study guide and flashcards. By making the study guide, you’ll reteach yourself the information. The study guide will organize the information, so you’re not left scrambling through messy notes and searching through textbooks. Flashcards are also a perfect study tool, because you can take them with you and pull them out to review between classes or when work is slow.

While it may be more fun to make study dates with the girls, you may be more productive to go it alone if you have a big test to study for. I know that when I try to study with friends, I always end up chatting away the hours, and end up with nothing new learned except the latest gossip. If your study schedules just happen to match up, go to the library with friends, but sit in a quiet room or go with a group of friends from class so you can help each other.

When studying for a long period time, make sure you take frequent breaks, even if it is just a quick walk around the library. Your mind will retain more information this way because it remembers what you study in the beginning and at the end, not the long, drawn out middle of the studying process.

Before you start studying, make sure you’re in the right mindset. Get enough sleep the night before and eat well. When you’re tired and hungry, the only thing your mind will focus on is how great your bed is going to feel later, and whether or not to get a bagel from the library café. Pack a little snack to munch on while studying, something like raw almonds or some fruit. Chewing gum or sucking on a mint also keeps your brain stimulated, which can help you while studying or when taking the test.

(We recommend the pretzels from our favorite little library cafe!) 

In the end, go into the test with a clear mind. Don’t spend the last few seconds cramming little bits of information into your head because it will only make you flustered. Talking with students who didn’t come prepared will make you nervous. Eat something before the test, so your mind if fueled, focused, and ready to go. All in all, be confident in what you know, and trust your gut. Get those A’s, baby!

New Jersey native, Stephanie, is a junior in the Whittemore School of Business and Economics at the University of New Hampshire. She is majoring in Business Administration with a dual concentration in Marketing and International Business & Economics. She loves the city and lived there last summer while interning for Ann Taylor. Stephanie loves sushi and Starbucks lattes. She is also a proud member of Alpha Phi and currently serves as the Treasurer on the Panhellenic Council.