Meet The Team: Julianna Sagliano

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

The Basics

Hometown: Oxford, Connecticut

Grade: Sophomore

Major: Studio Arts: Photography (but I’m applying into the BFA program at the end of this semester for photography!). I’m also a Minor in Business Administration.

Dream job: Commercial Photographer for Vogue. I’m hoping to be the next Annie Leibovitz!

Involvement on campus: Besides being a contributing writer for Her Campus, I am also a photography lab assistant and a Visual Resource Center assistant in the Art & Art History Department in PCAC.

Her Favorites

Hoco or Philly? Hoco

Homecoming or Cinco? Homecoming

Dimond or Paul? Dimond

DHOP, Dominos, or Papa Johns? DHOP

Football or Hockey? Hockey

Hut or Coffee Craving? Coffee Craving

All About Julianna   

What is the favorite thing about being a photography major? Being a photography major allows me to do what I love all the time. I get to see the world in a different perspective behind the viewfinder of my camera. I get to capture life and all of its precious moments, which is pretty amazing to me. I also love learning about the different cameras (digital vs film) and programs (like Photoshop and Lightroom) that the photography world uses.  

What is one thing about the PCAC that no one knows about? Our professors and their puppies! The PCAC is super chill and a lot of professors in the Art and Art History Department bring their dogs into work all the time. Seeing the puppies’ adorable faces definitely helps during a long studio day!  

What are your roles and responsibilities at the PCAC? I work in both the photography labs and the Visual Resource Center in PCAC. I make sure the digital photography lab, the darkroom, and the critique room are organized and tidy! A big role of mine as a photo assistant is to help the students with printing and critiquing their photographs. I also recently got a key to the Cage for the photo labs which is super exciting because I now help out with inventory and checking out photography equipment to students! In the Visual Resource Center, I scan old fashioned art slides and catalogue them onto this website called ArtStor. I also help with a bunch of different side projects for the VRC like this one here: https://unhvrc.wordpress.com/2017/03/06/photogrammetry-at-the-vrc/  

What is one piece of advice you would give to an incoming student about being a Photography major at UNH? Don’t be afraid to ask questions! Sometimes the way the labs work and all of the little details about the way photos are printed and things like that get a little overwhelming. All of the upper classmen students and our professors are really good at helping photo majors get used to the labs.  

Can you tell us your journey of entering he the Photographers Forum Best College and High School Photography contest? Well I’ve known about the contest since I was in high school and I actually got into the High School portion of it three times as a sophomore, junior, and senior. Last year as a freshman I entered it but didn’t make it. Over the past year I’ve grown a lot as a person and a photographer. After a long hiatus, I finally created photos I absolutely loved last past semester and decided to enter into the contest this year. In January I got a letter saying I got into the first round of judging and ended up being chosen as a Finalist! It was really exciting and made me so happy.  

What is your favorite thing about being apart of Her Campus? I love being able to meet people with different backgrounds and majors! They’re all super sweet and really supportive of one another which makes it such a great org to be involved in.