Meet Erinn Vittum

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Erinn is a very involved student at UNH. She is adventurous, humble, and intelligent. In honor of the first week of classes, I would like to introduce you guys to an amazing person: Erinn Vittum. 

The Basics:

Hometown: Wolfeboro, NH

Grade: Senior

Major: Psychology and Philosophy

Dream job: Peace Corps Youth/Medical Volunteer then psychiatrist

Involvement on campus: Student Fellow, Alternative Spring Break, Project Sunshine, research assistant

Her Favorites:

Hoco or Philly? Philly

Homecoming or Cinco? Homecoming

Dimond or Paul? Dimond

DHOP, Dominos, or Papa Johns? All of the above but mostly DHOP

Football or hockey? Hockey

Hut or Coffee Craving? Coffee Craving

Can you tell us a little more about what is a student fellow and what are your roles and responsibilities?

In short, UNH gives me a high five for getting good grades and doing things, and in return, I say good things about our school because I love it. In detail, Student Fellows are nominated by department chairs and selected by the associate dean of the college.  As a Student Fellow, I serve as an ambassador for prospective students, meet with alumni and donors to COLA, and generally represent my majors, college, and UNH at events.

What is an alternative spring break here at UNH?

UNH Alternative Spring Break is a beautiful campus org that provides substance free volunteer trips to various US destinations for spring break. We pretty much pile into minivans and drive to areas that need our help, all while super sober. Essentially, it’s an “alternative” to the stereotypical Cancun trip.

Instead of choosing a typical college spring break, what made you decide on going on an alternative spring break?

Sophomore year I thought, honestly, I want to do something different. And it was one of the best decisions because ABC has introduced me to some down to earth people, and we get to make a bit of a difference.

Where did you go for your alternative spring break and what did you do during it?

Sophomore year I went to Cumberland Island, which is a magical paradise in Georgia, and our team did trail maintenance for a week. Junior year I was in Europe so I couldn’t make a trip, but this year I’m back. I’ll be leading a trip to East St. Louis, Illinois, and our group will be spending a week with underprivileged inner-city youth.

What things did you learn from it?

So far I have learned that people are really good. I think it can be easy to dwell on the negatives in life, but ABC has shown me that really good people exist from all over who genuinely care to help others, and that’s a cool thing. Being surrounded by that is always nice. I’m excited for what I’ll learn this year in East St. Louis.