Marissa Marano ’13

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

Hola from Barcelona! It’s now been three weeks since I started my abroad program here in Spain and I could not love it anymore! Coming into it I really thought I had it figured out and was going to be more than ready. When it came to the day I left, that mindset was out the door. I was hysterical and couldn’t breathe throughout the entire trip here. My first night consisted of a panic attack in bed. While that all sounds god awful, I can say it quickly turned around. Once I began putting myself out there and really keeping busy I realized just how amazing the place I now call home is and how there is nothing scary about it. Barcelona is a beautiful city with so much to offer. We haven’t stopped for a second. I have taken tourist to a whole new level. We live right on one of the main streets in the city where you can hear ambulances and cars into the wee hours of the night.

The culture shock was definitely something that had to happen and still is slowly. My Spanish was never top notch but since being here I’ve learned to force myself into learning the language. I tend to do better on my way home from being out all night with a few drinks in me; my Spanish accent really comes full force.  The food is also a little difficult to become accustomed to as well, I’m not really a pork fan but in Barcelona that’s the choice meat you have. PDA is very widely practiced here in Barca as well; many couples like to show their affection all hours of the day in all places of Barcelona. While this is easy to get used to, I don’t know if I ever will be used to how unbelievable the city really is. The way of life here is so different and so much more relaxed.

Coming from home where NYC is the city I know, I can’t even begin to compare the two. While the people are so friendly in Barcelona, it’s also really comforting knowing that there are hundreds of college kids in the city with you at the same time in the same position. Literally feels as if I am a freshman all over again, meeting people for the first time and coming up with every connection possible to tighten your bond and make that meeting more worthwhile. I’m going to begin traveling next weekend to Florence followed by paragliding in the Alps the weekend after.

Now that traveling begins, I am more than excited. Also weird to think that when I’m coming home from all of these trips, I’m going to be calling my home Barcelona and not UNH. While it’s weird to see pictures of all my friends at school going out, I know that it’ll be just the same when I come home in May. But until then I know that no matter what this is a once in a lifetime opportunity that I am so extremely blessed to have had the chance to go on. I love having a few of my Alpha Phi’s here with me to help along the way when all we want is a Shack run or Village, but we all know that this experience will never come up again. I also began blogging so I can remember all the trips that I do for when I come home and to keep my family and friends up to date since I don’t have enough time to catch up with everyone.. http://marissainbarcelona.blogspot.com/  

Marissa Marano is a senior at University of New Hampshire. She is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Communications with a minor in Business. She is from Danbury, Connecticut. She is involved in her sorority Alpha Phi at school as well as the Marketing Club. Outside of school Marissa enjoys blogging, traveling, and shopping.
New Jersey native, Stephanie, is a junior in the Whittemore School of Business and Economics at the University of New Hampshire. She is majoring in Business Administration with a dual concentration in Marketing and International Business & Economics. She loves the city and lived there last summer while interning for Ann Taylor. Stephanie loves sushi and Starbucks lattes. She is also a proud member of Alpha Phi and currently serves as the Treasurer on the Panhellenic Council.