This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

October 24, 2006. Taylor Swift drops her first self-titled studio album. To this day I continue to scream out “Our Song” along with the many other T-Swift songs on my most popular playlist (you guessed it, every Taylor song out there). Over the years from each of her 6 albums I have learned many lessons. Although not everyone may be a Swiftie, these 6 lessons are for everyone.

1. Embrace your feelings, whatever they may be.

The best thing about Taylor Swift is her ability to portray emotions through her lyrics and melodies. Whether it’s a break up, a falling out with a friend, or you’re missing home, there is a sad song to bawl out your emotions with. Although she may have her fair share of melancholy songs, there are plenty of high spirited songs to have you feeling as if you’re walking on air. Whether you are feeling lost, confused, happy, sad, or reminiscent, Taylor’s got your back.

2. “I’ll never change, but i’ll never stay the same either.”

From country, acoustic, to pop, Taylor Swift has mastered many genres of music. From her music style, or fashion sense, we have all watched Taylor grow into a strong and independent woman. Life teaches us many lessons through the people we meet, the relationships we form, our actions and consequences, and the heartache we endure. Taylor has gracefully handled her life lessons, and through her songs and actions, attempted to guide her fans through similar experiences. Through her quote “I’ll never change, but i’ll never stay the same either,” Taylor is teaching us to learn from our mistakes and grow, but to always hold on to the gorgeous person you are inside (and out).

3. Keep going. It only gets better.

As we all know, the media and cynics have a field day anytime Taylor does…pretty much anything. Over the years Taylor has fearlessly handled the press. There may have been times where she felt that fame and all that comes with it was too much. People can be flat out mean. As shown in her most recent album, reputation, she has overcome obstacles created by haters, the media, and ex boyfriends. Her grace, love, and happiness has kept both her and her dedicated fans going all these years. She has taught me to never give up. You may feel like the entire world is against you sometimes, but it is the fight – the ability we have to push past that and hang on. Even during the lowest of lows, the only way to go is up.

4. Expect the unexpected, keep your heart moldable but not breakable.

With her wide array of songs, many of them love songs, Taylor has a common theme between all of her albums. Allow people into your life, but don’t be shocked if they leave. This can be a rule for both relationships and friendships.  It is important in our lives to build strong bonds with others and to feel love, yet sometimes things don’t always go as planned and can leave you heartbroken. Learn from these mistakes and allow yourself to keep creating those connections, but never make the same mistake twice.

5. You are never alone.

Through all of her pain and emotions, Taylor has continued to write songs and poems about her feelings. She writes not only for herself, but for us as well. She knows that either at some point in our past, or eventually in our future, we will share similar feelings, and be able to relate to and learn from her music. Everyone wants to feel understood, and Taylor makes that easy for us. There is always someone out there going through a similar problem, and Taylor knows that.

6. Never lose your spark.

Lastly, Taylor has always showed us that she is different. She has never let people change her or break her down. She has changed so much over the years, but we can all still see “the old Taylor”, the magical role model we all looked up to as kids. She allows herself to feel intensely, speak up, and always be herself – no matter what. In the words of Taylor Swift herself, “Your string of lights are still bright to me, who you are is not where you’ve been. You’re still an innocent.”

Whether you are a hardcore Swiftie, occasional listener, or could care less, here are some of my favorite songs by Taylor (at the moment):

1. Tim McGraw

2. Stay Beautiful

3. Picture to Burn

4. The Best Day

5. Love Story

6. Mine

7. Speak Now

8. Treacherous

9. Stay Stay Stay

10. How You Get The Girl

11. Gorgeous

12. Getaway Car

13. Call It What You Want

Hey :) Here are a few of my favorite things: Taylor Swift, horseback riding, beach days, reading, Netflix, and Ogunquit, Maine!
This is the general account for the University of New Hampshire chapter of Her Campus! HCXO!