This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UNH chapter.

For this Thanksgiving season, I decided to write a few letters to the people in my life who I’m most grateful for. I encourage you to do the same, and maybe even send a few.

To my Mother,

Thank you. For everything that you’ve done for me. As I look back on my life, I know that I could never say in words how grateful I am for everything you’ve given me. You gave me life, and from the second you first held me you’ve done nothing but show me what my world should be like. You’ve shown me how to value things that matter, how to love everyone around you, and how to respect yourself enough to know what’s best for you. You give everything you can to those around you, and I admire you endlessly for it. I look up to you in a way I look up to no one else. You are my idol, my rock, and my heart. I will forever be thankful that this universe made you my mother.

To my Father,

Thank you. For showing me how to truly never take life too seriously. Every day is a new adventure with you, and it’s impossible to predict what will happen. You have never failed to make someone laugh, and I find that so incredible. Thank you for giving me some of my greatest passions in life. Because of you, I found my love for music. The Beatles, Jimmy Buffett; these are just a few of the artists that sing the soundtrack to our relationship. We will always share the memories of playing music together, and I am so so thankful for that. Thank you for pushing me. Sometimes I could argue it was too far, but in the end, I am better because of it. You encourage me to be my best self and always try my hardest. You see me as a better person than others and it’s something that’s kept me grounded for all my life.

To my Step-Parents,

Thank you. For being there when others couldn’t be. For sacrificing your time and efforts for the benefits of my sisters and me. You gave up different lives to be a part of mine, and I love you for that. You’ve driven countless hours to sports games and academic events, started new traditions with my families, and filled a place in my parents’ hearts that needed to be filled. I’m happy my family is so big, because it just amounts to more love in my life.

To my Sisters,

Thank you. For keeping me on my toes. For teaching me lessons I forgot to learn when I was your age. For being pains in my ass, but the best friends I could ask for. It has never been a dull moment in my life having you two around. I’m so thankful for all the incredible memories we will have to look back on as we move away and begin our own families. I know, though, even when we have our own lives and obligations, we will never drift apart as siblings. You two have given me some of my greatest laughs and biggest scares, and I’m so grateful to call my two best friends my family.

To my Best Friend,

Thank you. For being the best non-biological sister I could ask for. There are not enough words in the English language to describe how incredibly grateful I am that you are my soulmate. You’ve held me when I’ve cried, laughed with me when I’ve fallen, and supported me through every adventure we’ve taken. There isn’t (and never will be) a single person on this Earth who understands me as well as you do. I’ve known you since the first day you existed, and I hope to love you until your last. Because of you, I’ve learned to laugh when I make mistakes. Because of you, I don’t care what anyone thinks of my uniqueness. Because of you, I’ve experienced things some children can only dream of doing. You have been such a constant in my life, and I will never lose sight of how amazing a person you are. You deserve the world, I love you.

To my Partners,

Thank you. For showing me what love is. Thank you for helping me grow as a person, and for supporting me when I didn’t feel like my best self. You have given me such happy memories. Yes, they may have ended, but the lessons learned will be with me forever. You made an impact on me and how I view the world, and I’m grateful to you for that. I will always have love for you. While our time has passed, I will always be thankful for the time we shared and the memories we made. Just because it’s over, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen; and I’m so glad it happened. I know myself better because of you, and I wish only the best things for you in your life.

To Everyone Else,

Thank you. For molding me into the person I am today. Whether I knew you for ten minutes or ten years, you’ve affected me in some way that has changed the course of my life. If it wasn’t for you, every single one of you, I would not be in this exact situation right now writing this letter. I admit my life may be difficult at times, but I’m so thankful every day that I have it. I get to love such beautiful people, and see such beautiful things. Every morning, I am able to watch our sun rise in the bright blue sky and remind myself that harder days have passed and better days are still to come. Please remember all you have to be thankful for. You have your life, you have your will, you have your love. I am thankful for you. I love you.

Sincerely,

Ariana Horne

Hey! I'm Ariana and I'm a Senior at the University of New Hampshire. I'm a Business Administration: Marketing major, with a minor in Anthropology. This is my fourth year writing for Her Campus, and I held the position of Campus Coordinator (Co-President) my second year! I love the friends I've made in this organization and the opportunities it has provided me. All the love, Ari